How to restart training after vacation

anneshy

What is your way to return to your training schedules after you went on vacation? Also: does this change with the duration if the vacation?

I'm training the RR. In my vacations I like to travel and explore foreign countries for 1 - 2 weeks. Once I'm back I typically return to my routine and start the first session with slightly reduced repetitions (e.g. 5 pull ups instead of 8). Longer vacation could lead to 2 or 3 reduces sessions until I'm back at my standard.

Interestingly that's also how I return after a longer sickness period (e.g. flue for 1 week).

What's your way?

@anneshy
What is your way to return to your training schedules after you went on vacation?

Depends on the length of the vacation and your training leading up to it.

Also: does this change with the duration if the vacation?

Definitely.

My philosophy on vacations and training is to, as best as possible, integrate the vacation into my periodisation. Training, at least at intermediate levels and upwards, is all about cycling between periods of high volume / high intensity and periods of lower volume / intensity. The duration of these periods depends a lot on a lot of different factors, and can range from a few days up to several weeks/months for more advanced athletes. The same principle can be applied to beginner routines as well, the main reason beginner programs aren't periodised is simply because it's not necessary and it overcomplicates things for someone who's just starting out.

If I'm only going away for a few days I won't really do much differently, maybe combine workouts / core exercises going into the days leading up to it so that I don't mess up my program. If I'm going away for 5-10 days I'll increase intensity and volume the week or two leading up to the vacation, basically implementing the vacation as a deload / rest week, and I'll usually bounce back stronger when I get back. If I'm going away for more than 10ish days I'll look for ways to get some sort of training in during my stay. Doesn't have to be optimal, but doing even just a little bit is a lot better than doing nothing with regards to avoiding loss of strength/muscle. But sometimes during longer trips training just isn't a viable option, either due to availability or scheduling issues. In that case I'd just accept the slight loss in strength/muscle, reminding myself that it'll only take a week or two to recover it when I get back to training. As someone who's been training relatively seriously for over a decade now, with periods of competing in a few different sports, I've come to learn that strength and conditioning will naturally fluctuate depending on what else is going on in your life. You can't be in peak condition all the time, and that's fine.

@anneshy Depends on how I feel at the beginning. Sometimes, you vacation for the exact right amount of time and the first session back is amazing. In that case, I keep it normal. But if not, I'll ease into it like you do.

@anneshy
I'm training the RR. In my vacations I like to travel and explore foreign countries for 1 - 2 weeks. Once I'm back I typically return to my routine and start the first session with slightly reduced repetitions (e.g. 5 pull ups instead of 8). Longer vacation could lead to 2 or 3 reduces sessions until I'm back at my standard.

1 week ramp in is usually fine after 1-3 weeks off.

I tend to reduce sets as opposed to reps. Go 1-2 sets for first 1-2 workouts. Then go to 2-3, then full which is usually 3-5.

Back