Hybrid Mish-Mash Routine Critique?

ecaush

hello! how shitty is my routine?

stats -- Underweight but gaining weight! 5'3" 18 years old. female.

PRS -- Hip Thrust: 155lb x 3 x 6. Sumo Deadlift: 100lb x 8 x 3.

Goals -- muscle gain! mainly legs but i want to build my upper body as well. don't want to lose any weight. i've been following this routine since september/october and have continued to make gains (although they have slowed down from 5 pounds per week per lift to 5 pounds on compound lifts ever 1-2 weeks). i'd consider myself a beginner honestly! struggle to squat with a barbell (my form is diabolical)

Monday (weekdays are almost exactly this routine)
  • Barbell hip Thrust pyramid 1 x 10, 1 × 8, 1 x 6, 1 × 15
  • Goblet Squat 3 x 12
  • Heavy Kettlebell Deadlift 3 x 15
  • Hamstring Curls 3x15
  • Band Seated Hip abduction 2x 20
  • Calf Raises 3 x 20-30
Tuesday
  • Barbell Banded Hip thrust 3 × 10
  • Static Lunge/Split Lunge without elevated back foot 3 × 15-20
  • Romanian Deadlifts 3x10
  • Leg Extensions 3x15-20
  • Standing Hip Abduction 3x20
  • Calf Raises 3 x 20-30
Wednesday
Thursday
  • Barbell Hip Thrust 3 x 6
  • Bulgarian split squat 3 x 10
  • Glute Machine Kickback 3 x 10
  • Seated Hip Abduction 2 x 20
  • Calf Raises 3 x 20-30
Friday
  • Double band hap thrust 3 × 20 (band around knees and band over the hips)
  • Cybex Leg press 3 x 10
  • Sumo deadlift 3 x 8
  • Cable Standing Hip Adbuction 2 × 20
  • Hamstring Curl Machine 2x15
  • Calf Raises 3 x 20-30
Saturday (basically this routine)
  • Incline dumbbell bench press 3 x 8-10
  • Dumbbell Flye 3x8-10
  • Dumbbell Bentover Row 3x10-12
  • One-Arm Dumbbell Row 3x10-12
  • Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3x8-10
  • Dumbbell Upright Row 2x8-10
  • Dumbbell Curls 2x8-10
  • Hammer Curl to Press 3x8-10
  • Tricep Extension 3x8-10
  • And a 5-minute ab routine I can find on YouTube

@ecaush I mean probably better than basic programs (idk I don’t care to read them). Personally if I had back to back legs I would go heavy day 1 and a lighter movement day the next. Could even change Thursday to upper and can have Friday legs be more moderate. Only thing is I don’t want a burnout when you can still get good results with half the days as a beginner. Love the goblets instead of bb cause you said you’re not feeling comfy on them and honestly back squats are eh lol. For main lift don’t be afraid of getting spicy with like 8x5 or any low reps high sets and then you can get a nice pump with accessory lifts at higher reps. Also extra spicy would be adding in some jumps (progressed correctly obvy). But main goal is to have fun moving around so good luck

@ecaush As others have said, legs back to back is not ideal for growth. Break it up into glute and quad focused days. I'd also suggest switching out a leg day for another upper body day so your week would look like,
Monday: quads
Tues: back or pull
Wed: cardio abs
Thurs: chest/push
Friday: hams

But it's hard to do your own programming. Check out the programs others have linked, at least for a couple weeks. But play with it, have fun. What works for you might not work for anyone else and that's the amazing thing about out bodies.
Just remember, Growth is slow and requires HIGH WEIGHT and low reps, lots of calories and lots of rest.

@ecaush If you’re also interested in building upper body once a week upper body while working out six days a week is not ideal. Also your muscles need rest to grow so all that leg volume isn’t necessarily even helpful after awhile.

If you’re going to do legs back to back I would at least alternate between quad and glute focus (say squats on Monday and deadlift on Tuesday). But ideally I would cut down to 3x a week legs to allow for a complete rest of your legs in between workouts. That would leave room for a second upper body day as well.

Back