I’ve stalled at losing weight!

jwright219

I need help! I’ve completely stalled at losing weight F 5’5 180. I don’t smoke, drink, or consume pop. I’m not really into sweets. I think I eat fairly healthy, cauliflower rice and zoodles in replace of carbs and I rotate proteins per week. I HATE cardio with a passion, but I am scared that it’s the only thing that will get me back on track. Everything hurts when I run and I feel so defeated anytime I try also my asthma isn’t that well controlled so even when my body can stand the 2-3 mins, my asthma then reminds me that I won’t be surviving a zombie apocalypse for long. Any advice? P.S. I LOVE weightlifting and will combine it with HIIT, but I want to lose weight not necessarily turn the weight I have into muscle.

@jwright219 What does your diet history look like? Do you track your calories? If so, what are you eating at?

The good news about cardio is that it HELPS with losing weight, but ultimately it comes down to diet. There's a phrase about this, "You can't outrun a bad diet" and it's totally true! I wouldn't continue with the running if it hurts and since you're limited to 2-3 min. Does walking hurt? A good rule of thumb is to just push hard enough so that you're having trouble holding a conversation.

Muscles don't appear overnight so I wouldn't let that stop you from weightlifting.

@ayeesha I gym 3 times a week. The days I gym are about 1000-1075c. Non-gym days are about 925-975c.

Walking is not painful! Oh, that’s pretty easy, I can do that!!

Can I weightlifting and lose weight at the same time?

Thanks!!

@jwright219 Wow you're not eating much! How's your energy level?? A typical 5'5" female needs ~1800 to run even with a sedentary lifestyle ("eating at maintenance"). For some perspective, 1200 is the typical lowest recommended cal intake. Eating way lower than that can trigger your body to adapt to using less energy. Eating just 200-300ish cal below maintenance is usually within that "sweet spot" of still using up energy without "tripping" any alarms, and gives you more energy to perform than if you were eating ~1000cal. Eating so little for so long also makes you more vulnerable to weight gain in the future. Slow and steady is the key for long term success! Not that I'm saying to go ahead and throw the diet out the window. I'd recommend adding in a few hundred cal's a week for a few wks and then re-evaluate. It could even just be an extra protein bar a day.

Yes you absolutely can lift and lose weight at the same time! It'll help!

@jwright219 A lot of people overcomplicate losing/gaining weight. All it comes down to is are you on a caloric defect or a caloric surplus? Or even? Track your calories and how much you burn when you do cardio, and you can see how much more cardio you need to do or how much less you need to eat. If you just started exercising, you probably lost weight rapidly because you got noobie gains. Anyone can expect their results to slow after the first few months of regular exercise. You could try more fun forms of cardio, like maybe a sport or something. I highly recommend MMA, you burn a ton, it’s fun (for me at least), and really useful. Hope it helps!

@jwright219 Have you tried using the elliptical machines? I am no way near fit enough to run on a treadmill and get really sore legs and shin splints. The elliptical machines lets me get a good sweat going without the leg pain or having to run fast.

@zach123 After about a month I’ve plateaued. It’s hard to stay motivated with little results. But knowing that I may be too calorically may be the cause for my headaches.

@jwright219 I’m in a plateau, too. I began working at taking weight off at the beginning of this year. I was at 178 (5 feet tall; so I was WAY into the obese numbers). I’m at 135 - 137 now with a goal of 127 pounds, and it’s really hard not to just keep increasing the deprivation and intensity — eat less! hardly anything! work out more! all the time! — but I do believe the stuff I read about how your body metabolically shuts down (to the extent it can) when it perceives itself as starving.

Everything I read makes high-intensity interval exercise, muscle-building exercise, lots of protein, lots of vegetables that have high water content, lots of water, good sleep, and patience sound like the answer. I have an Apple watch. I walked 3 miles yesterday with intervals of running that amounted to maybe 1 mile of that total.

It shows:

Total time: 1:02:09
247 active calories
326 total calories

One pound is 3,500 calories. Exercise truly is not the most powerful weight loss tool. Eating right is. Exercise has countless benefits, better heart health and mood among them, but it can only do so much.

Getting frantic over a plateau is, at least for me, the worst possible response to it. It alters my perception of time, like, “I’ve resisted that specific food I’ve been craving for HOURS and I can only spend so much time working out!”

So. One thing that helped me is to read the stories of people in the National Weight Control Registry —you can google it. These are people who have lost at least 30 pounds and kept it off for at least one year. They’ve beat incredible odds, doing that. Almost everyone who diets regains the weight (I think it’s 80% of dieters), but these people didn’t. The findings are that they tend to eat breakfast and walk but, naturally, their behaviors vary.

Also, it helps to know how the hunger hormones, leptin and ghrelin, work. Again, google. It’s fascinating and it gives you perspective on what you’re actually asking your body to do. Like, for another thing, how on earth does fat leave the body? It used to be there, in your belly, in your arms, in your thighs, and now it’s GONE? I used to think it left in feces, urine, and sweat until I read about it, and the answer turned out to be that it leaves mostly through respiration, if you can believe that. No wonder it takes time!

Also, I’ve used my plateau as a time to experiment. I counted calories successfully for 9 months and then absolutely could not move below 135, so I tried eating without counting. Gained 2 pounds in no time. Yesterday, I thought I had those 2 off after a week or so of eating better and counting, when I looked at the scale and saw 135, only now I’m up 2 today. Those 2 this morning can’t be fat. The body can’t create fat that fast. It’s water. If I stay with good eating, I’ll be back at the 135 plateau in a couple days.

I don’t know that anything I’m saying is “advice,” exactly. My intention is more to tell you that you’re not alone and to say what seems most true to me: that sticking with it is the only hope there is. Trying new things — foods, habits, exercises — until you know what your own body responds to and can do. And what you can mentally, emotionally, physically adopt as a way of life.

Because the worst news? The worst news is, I read one article that said if you take two people of the same weight and one of them becomes obese and then takes the weight off that person will ALWAYS have to eat 400 calories fewer per day than the person who never gained at all, even though now they are at the same weight again. Obesity followed by weight loss seems to permanently slow the metabolic rate. That dismal bottom line shows up in a lot of articles.

And knowing this actually helps me. It tells me we’re not weak-willed people. We are people constantly surrounded by highly caloric, highly palatable food, who have countless stressors that impact our ability to do good self care, who are fighting hormonal systems that are as old as time, the entire design and purpose of which is to never give fat away until forced to.

Hang in there!

@jwright219 Stalled at losting weight.... can only mean your need to readjust your calorie intake or take not of how hard you're going when you exercise?

Definitely though I'd suggest counting your calories and readjusting to match your goal of weight loss

@jwright219 You’re not going to magically sprout 32” biceps from lifting- especially if you’re at a caloric deficit. Use a food app to track your CICO and maintain a healthy distribution of carbs/fat/protein. Lift, do HIIT, and don’t lie to your food diary.

Back