I love doing sports but I don’t like the gym

crcoopertx

I recently got into trying different sports the past months. As of now, I enjoy climbing & jiu jitsu and I go the climb gym 1-2x a week & bjj class 1x a week since June 2023. I don’t do any other strength training or if I do go to the gym, it’s very rare.

I love doing sports but I feel like I’ve hir a plateau because I’m not really getting any stronger w/o training. Any advices how I can incorporate strength training/gym/calisthenics in my life? I get bored in repetitive sets type of workouts huhu

@crcoopertx you're always gonna plateau without progressive overload training. It's just a fact of life.

Of course... do things like get a pull up bar to do pull-ups at home. Wear a weighted vest. You could also wear a weighted vest when climbing/running to get stronger. Pushups -- you can build strength there by doing them single arm or by doing explosive movements for more strength through the power (clapping, 360 etc.) Jump lunges etc. If you have kids, you can use them as weight. I will sometimes play "elevator" with my kid where she's on my back and she says go down and I will squat with her -- basically she's my command coach and I just follow the lead.

@crcoopertx If you just want strength I got you. You can create an optimal strength workout that only lasts 20-30
Minutes. If you get bored fast this is perfect. Basically, lower reps workouts are going to build strength, while higher rep workouts build muscle size. So this routine focuses on low rep exercises with longer rests between. The formula (this was not created by me. This was created by Andy Galpin who is one of the leading minds in the fitness world) is 3-5 different exercise where you do no more than than 3-5 reps, with 3-5 minutes of rest between each rep (don’t skip this it’s very important. If you can’t wait just superset the workouts which will further decrease your time in the gym. Just make sure not to superset two workouts that work the same muscle.) Also do each workout 3-5 times. It’s pretty easy and only comes out to like 20-30 minutes. You can do this routine every day without worrying about overtraining if you want. Make sure you start with a a major lift like bench, squat, or deadlift on their respective days. Also,make sure you’re going with as high weight as you can handle. You will make the most gains while under intense stress because your nervous system is the part of you body that you are training. This routine is fantastic for building strength on a low commitment. The only downside is that it basically doesn’t train muscle size or hypertrophy at all. Hope I helped. Feel free to ask any questions for clarification