I need help deciding if this workout should only be done once a week or if I lack a high fitness levellevel

swan617

I'm doing this lower body hiit workout twice a week:
. I think my legs feel fatigued/heavy, I've felt like this for a few weeks or a month. I can still do the workout but my legs feel heavy. Before I start the workout my legs don't feel well rested or fresh. Do you think that workout is meant to done only once a week instead of twice? Maybe that workout is too hard or extreme or it could just be that I'm not at that fitness level.

@swan617 Personally HIIT once a week or even every 10 days is enough for me. It's the icing on the cake, not the actual cake. Twice a week would drain me and I'm in good shape and workout almost daily.

@swan617 As far as I am aware, there has been no research linking random movements like that video to the benefits of HIIT training.

The HIIT benefits have only been shown with basic cardio exercises such as running and cycling.

@staber12 From your citation, the only portion talking about stuff similar to the video:

Regarding similar protocol training that uses other types of exercise including running and various body-weight-bearing exercises (e.g., burpees and squat jumps), the published evidence of their metabolic profiles and effects on both VO2max and the maximal accumulated oxygen deficit (MAOD) is insufficient.

I swear, 75% of the time someone cites a study here, it is directly counter to their point.

@staber12 The first sentence of that cite:

This study consists of two training experiments using a mechanically braked cycle ergometer.

Then no discussion of any non-cycling protocols.

At this point, I have to assume you are either posting in bad faith or lack basic comprehension skills. Either way, I'm done.

@motsworld You may need to get off the internet for a bit. Touch grass, whatever.

You can't tell when people are agreeing with you or not. And providing the supporting info of what you claim.

You immediately suppose the worst- arguing or posting in bad faith. It's a reflection of your need to argue. Not inform. It's within you.

@antponetteoaks Depends on what your goals are. For sure this is along the lines of conditioning/circuit training and can help with sports. I would argue that the video isn’t intense enough though and if I were to use it for sports I would change the movement/ pattern to match the sport I’d play.

@gbecca87 My goals are to just be fit. I don't do sports. Do you the video is good for the average person. I guess I prefer functional exercises but I'm not sure if the workout helps with that

@swan617 I recently started going to boxing classes and this reminds me of the conditioning portions of the class. I'm definitely drained for 2-3 days after even though I think I'm in pretty good shape otherwise.

Ideally I'd love to work up to 3 days a week of conditioning. I'm incorporating the drills into my other workouts, just a few minutes as warm up or a shorter HIIT workout, so my body gets used to it.

@swan617 HIIT isn’t necessary for fat loss or weight maintenance. It can be difficult to recover from. If you enjoy it, by all means keep doing it but spread it out

@swan617 Do it as much as you can when recovered. Nothing needs a x days a week. When your muscles are not sore do it again. If sore don’t do it. With that being said HIIT is bullshit and really much better methods of exercise, but do you and whatever you like and keeps you motivated

@swan617
I was doing it twice a week because that adds up to about 70 minutes of the recommended hiit a person should do weekly.

Nobody recommends 70 minutes of HIIT a week.

I think you are confusing "vigorous" with HIIT. While HIIT is vigorous, it is at the extreme end of it. Light jogging is still vigorous exercise per the CDC.

Also, that workout isn't HIIT. But that's not here or there.

Back