I want to build up muscle, what’s a solid weekly routine to follow (at Planet Fitness)?

chriver

If it matters, I’m 5’9 150. I’m not tryna be a bodybuilder, I just don’t wanna look like a pencil lol. I mainly want to build up arms//shoulders/stomach. Any advice would be much appreciated, thank u

@chriver Hands down, 5x5 Stronglift workout! Also. Eat vegetables and chicken. Drink more water. Intermittent fast. Vitamins. Protein powder. Seeds. Nuts. Almond milk. Reduce bread and dairy to bare minimum’s. Drink wine. Smoke weed. No read meat ever! Swim. Jump. Lift. Pull. Push. Walk. No alcohol. Have more sex. Sleep more. Laugh more. Love more. You’ll feel f’n jacked in a month!

@chriver Since you're at planet fitness, maybe adjust that 5x5 program to be done with dumbbells. Overall, good.

Here's one I made for my friend:
WORKOUT A
•4x10 Goblet Squat
•3x8-12 DB Overhead Press (Neutral Grip)
•4x10-15 DB RDL

WORKOUT B
•4x8-12 Goblet Squat
•4x8-12 DB Bench Press
•4x8-12 DB INCLINE ROW

It alternates each week:
Week 1: ABA
Week 2:BAB

@dawn16 Thank u. So what would a routine look like with the dumbbells? I’ve been reading and watching videos on the 5x5, but all I’ve gathered from it is that it’s 5 sets of 5 reps, and squats are involved. I couldn’t find a video of anybody doing it at planet fitness. Sorry if it’s a dumb question, I’m super new to this lol

@chriver One, you're going to get rid of the whole 5x5 idea. It's not safe to train heavier with just dumbbells. Instead, you're going to do 3-4 sets of 8-12 for more reps.

You're going to find a dumbbell variation of every exercise, and use that.

At planet fitness they have a Smith Machine, but I don't think that's the best option. You can try it later, it's good for hypertrophy I've heard.

For example: instead of doing a Smith Machine Squat, do a DB Goblet Squat until you can progress to a farmer squat.

Instead of a barbell overhead press, start with dumbbells, this will help fix muscle imbalances, also, I just like it better regardless. Maybe doing a neutral grip on that exercise will help you see what you're doing better.

Dumbbell bench press, incline DB rows, etc.

Here's one I made for my friend:

WORKOUT A
•4x10 DB Lunge
•3x8-12 DB Overhead Press (Neutral Grip)
•4x10-15 DB RDL

WORKOUT B
•4x8-12 Goblet Squat
•4x8-12 DB Bench Press
•4x8-12 DB INCLINE ROW

Every week you workout as so: BAB

Now, you might be wondering, why so few exercises? Well, since you're brand new, you're going to need time to learn the exercises, and it's overwhelming to have to do a thousand at once. Start with these basic compounds, together, they will work every muscle in your body.

I'm making you do lunges because single leg training is desirable.