International Powerlifting Federation Classic World Championship 2024: Preview and Discussion Thread

nathan2018

When and where: June 15-23 in Druskininkai, Lithuania, full schedule here (note: times listed in Eastern European Summer Time). For the most part, "A" groups will have the stronger lifters.

Where to watch: Livestream on the IPF YouTube channel

Live results

Full roster (men, women)

Powerlifting 101

Match-ups to watch:​

The -47s: Watch 100-lb women lift absurdly big weights

The headliners are are reigning champ Tiffany Chapon vs challenger Jessica Espinal. Chapon has one the last two worlds and is an extraordinary lifer, but Espinal has been gaining ground of late.

The -69s: Rematch between Lya Bavoil and Carola Garra

Two legends continue to clash. Last year Carola won the -63s and Lya won the -69s, and they came in 2nd and 3rd after Agata Sitko as -69s at Sheffield this year.

The -76s: Rematch between Karlina Tongotea and Agata Sitko

These two had a great battle last year, with Karlina pulling out ahead. Agata cut to -69 and won Sheffield (where lifters compete across weight classes to see who can break world records by the largest percentage) earlier this year, and now she's back in her natural weight class to try to finish business with Karlina. Also worth keeping at eye on: Former world champ Jess Buettner, who beat Agata with an epic deadlift in 2022.

The +84s: Brittany Schlater vs Sonita Mulah vs Alexis Jones

Three really closely matched women who are all ridiculously strong. Brittany surprised some folks by winning last year. She and Sonita were neck-and-neck at Sheffield, Alexis is not far behind them.

Other schedule highlights:​

• Jade Jacob might deadlift something absurd (and after two consecutive silvers is a major favorite to win gold, with main rival Natalie Richards dropping out due to injury)
  • Russ Orhii returns to the IPF (and can probably have a bad day and still break a world record, if that's what he needs to win. But he's probably going to try to keep that record as low as possible for the next Sheffield.)
  • A bunch of other really strong lifters returning to the IPF, after initially picking USAPL in the divorce: Austin Perkins, Ashton Rouska, Bobb Matthews, and Brandon Pitre.
  • For the men's division, a USA lifter has the highest nominating total in every weight class. It's not impossible that they might sweep.
  • With last year's champ Carola Garra competing up a weight class, Meg Scanlon in the -63s is looking like the favorite to win her second world title (her first of which she won after her post-birthing-twins comeback, for moms out there looking for inspiration)
xxfitness, what lifters or sessions are you hyped for? give me your hot takes, favorite lifters and commentary throughout the week in this thread.

Edit: Powerlifting America listed the times of all of the sessions with their lifters in EDT, in case that makes life easier for anyone

Lots of exciting stuff yesterday:

Jurins Kengamu beats Russel Orhii in the -83s by 1.5 kg with a big final pull. This will be a fun rivalry for the next few years. Russ had his third squat was overturned, but Jurins final deadlift looked so comfortable he perhaps could have closed the gap anyway. Jurins set a total WR, Russ set a squat WR. Both will go to the World Games.

Death, taxes, and Enahoro with a Hail Mary final deadlift (it didn't cost him anything since he had 3rd place secured anyway).

Joy Nnamani WR deadlift
No lifting today, but lots more to come tomorrow.

@nathan2018 Farhanna Farid's 460lbs deadlift in the 52 class is CRAZY.

I know it's the men's side, but that was one hell of a battle in the 66kg. All three men got the same total, Opor winning by bodyweight.

@nathan2018 I’m honestly hyped for every weight class this year. There doesn’t seem to be a non-competitive space in women’s powerlifting at the moment and it’s great to see. That, combined with the new joiners of IPF and it being a World Games year, makes for a very exciting worlds. I’m particularly excited for the 84+ match up, though. With questions around Sonita’s injury, Britt’s struggle with training lately and Alexis being so young, new to international IPF standards, it feels like it could be anyone’s day. I am also, as always, excited to see Bobbie Butters perform. She just seems so unwavering in how locked in she is, not just on the platform but at every single training session. That woman has focus I cannot imagine achieving.

@nathan2018 She had a back injury a good few weeks back, but it seems she’s been struggling to hit heavy weights with her squats since. I am, sadly, not expecting her to perform her best (but I really hope that she pulls something out of the bag!)

@nathan2018 My US bias is showing, but I am super curious about how Cranon Worford will perform since she’s so new to the sport. I also would really like to see someone challenge Amanda Lawrence on SOMETHING for once and based on the deadlift nominations that might happen.

@modesta12 Oh same! I think Cranon is going to have a meteoric rise over the next few years.

I was listening an interview with Joey Flexx where he mentioned that she really busy with other things and wasn’t super dialed in on training and nutrition until a few months before Nats. Imagine how strong she’ll get if she’s able to prioritize PL for the next few years 👀