Is fasting a good way to cut?

jodiw

I’ve been 16:8 fasting for the last few weeks and historically I always lose weight very easily when fasting. However, I work out at 8am and don’t end up eating my first meal until 12:00/13:00. Is this going to be an issue or that I’m not taking advantage of the anabolic window after resistance training?

Also for background, Im 27M, 5’11 201lb beginning of may, now 190lb. Before this I bulked up for a fair few months eating over maintenance. Now I’m eating 500kcal under and training full body 3 x a week for an hour each. Walking 1 hour 5 x a week. Having 2 meals a day + protein shake with soy milk and a snack is very sustainable personally.

@jodiw It is one of the many ways to do a cut. It's also my fav one, but make sure that when you do eat you don't put all the calories (and more) you lose while fasting.

You can even go OMAD (one meal a day) but if you eat the same amount worth of 3 or 4 meals, you're not being effective.

@lavjesusworshiper I second this, I’ve lost 3 % body fat this summer doing OMAD —BUT— I’ve been using MCT oil in the mornings an assist to get my body fat adapted, then break it with protein + water shake. Then I have my one meal. (Lost 3% BF, increased muscle by 1.5% in 4 weeks)

@jodiw If fasting makes it easier for you to eat at a caloric deficit, then it's a good way to cut. But really all you need is the caloric deficit. Meal timing, etc does not really matter with respect to weight loss.

@katie4469 Thanks for the confirmation. I wasn’t fasting at the beginning of my cut and I was coping fine as well but it’s quite convenient for me. And a coffee before my morning workout is all I need!

@jodiw Fasting only works in the sense that it typically reduces caloric intake (by forcing people to eat within a window). However, There isn’t any inherent benefit that’s going to make any marginal difference from eating the exact same foods/total calories over a longer period during the day.

The best way to be consistent in my experience is eat when you’re hungry, but count your calories/macros for the first month or two (or longer) to make sure you’re staying in a deficit. It shouldn’t feel obsessive (If it does you may want to change) but it should help you understand portion sizing while your body adjusts to less total food during meals. Eating high protein meals will not only help preserve gains, but also make food more satiating with less cal, so try to prioritize that as well.

Finally, there are 100 ways to do it, as long as you’re healthy, eating balanced meals and in a deficit, then the way you go about it is up to you, this has just been the method I’ve had the most success with. Good luck!

@jodiw Just some personal advice on fasting.

While daily fasting (16:8, 20:4 etc) is a good way to restrict calories what I tend to prefer is longer more infrequent fasts. Say 1 or 2 24hr fasts a week and then the rest of the time eating pretty much at maintenance.

This makes it so fasting is the anomoly in your week and not the norm. I think this is important as the body may compensate for the constantly reduced calories by downgrading your NEAT and general output.

I find fasting works better when it's not the norm and you eat at maintenance the rest of the time.

@mrbrain I get where you’re coming from and this does make sense. For me personally I make dinners with my wife in the evening and have leftovers for lunch the next day so from a logistical pov this wouldn’t work for me :)

@jodiw If one of your goals is to maintain/gain muscle, whether on a calorie deficit or a surplus, never do fasting.

If you enjoy really want to fast because you enjoy it, go ahead, but keep in mind that it is one of the worst methods for achieving a calorie deficit(assuming muscle is important for you).

Edit: I am wrong, apparently there is no problem with intermittent fasting on a cut, what is bad is having your workout be in your fasting window(due to having much lower performance than you would otherwise) and I swapped the two ideas.

@glmlost This isn’t correct.

Fasting is just a way to restrict calories. At the end of the day it’s calories in and calories out. If fasting works for you, do it. If it does not. Don’t. Fasting will not help or hurt your muscle gains. what will hurt is not eating enough calories and protein. Yes you should eat in the anabolic window after lifting. But really you should just worry about eating enough and getting enough protein.

Fasting works for me. I eat my first meal at 12-13:00 and then I have a big dinner.

If you’re trying to lose fat, try a slight caloric deficit
If you’re trying to gain weight try a slight surplus

@barnabyjones While you can definitely fast when trying to gain muscle or lose fat. It’s definitely not optimal for either.

It may suit the individual though if eating in the small window helps hunger and the ability to stick to the diet.

Back