is it safe to assume something when calorie counting?

roxcy

newbie lng po and i hope its okay to ask this here. big deal kasi saken to gawa ng eto ung magiging meal ko everyday kaya gusto ko malaman kung tama ba ung gnagawa ko. first time ko plng magbilang and mag plano ng weightloss.

regarding sa pag count ng calories especially sa chicken breast fillet. pano pag di ko naccount ung oil and breading na ginamit sa cooking, gano kalaki po ba impact non sa overall calories?

say i weighed the "COOKED BREADED chicken breast fillet" and its around 150g, on MFP app a 100g of "RAW chicken breast skinless fillet" have a calorie of 114. so my calorie intake would be 1.5 x 114 = 171 calories plus the OIL+BREADING na di ko nabilang. problem is i cant count it cos iba ung nagluluto and i prefer it that way if its possible hahaha

im assuming that the breading + oil is not gonna make me exceed past my required calorie for a day, which is 1800 for cutting according to the TDEE calc (M, 28yo, 100kg, 168cm, sedentary). for example i ate my lunch (nalagay ko lng sa breakfast) a while ago, it has a total of 434 calories, but the chicken fillet there is raw. and say i eat this meal twice a day, so its 434 x 2 = 868 calories total for a day. and sa tingin ko di nman ako aabot sa 1800 lang ng dahil sa oil+breading na gnamit ko? o mali ba ko? haha

please enlighten me guys. also bat ganon, ung meal ko na to sobrang busog na ko pero prang nsa 1000 calories lng ung ncoconsume ko per day? di ko alam kung may mali ba kong ginagawa sa pag bibilang ko o tama ba tlga to. sinusubukan ko gawing 200g of rice + 200g of chicken per meal pero pag tinitignan ko plato ko sobrang dami na prang di ko tlga mauubos. sira ba ung timbangan na gnagamit ko o sadyang madami na tlga un? timbangan ko galing lazada e. salamat po sa mga sasagot!

EDIT: my goal is weight loss, im around 100kg ang target ko is kahit around 80kg. im really fat and any loss in weight will make me very happy haha

@roxcy Thank you for the amount of detail here man! Sana ganito lahat ng posts haha.

A few things happen when we cook food but one of the things you'll find out if you ever try cooking your own food is that it loses weight through water loss. If I cook 1.4kg of chicken breast I usually only get 1.1-1.2kg of cooked chicken breast. However since your chicken has breading and oil that is absorbed by the breading and the chicken i'd wager that it'd be hard to guess how much the actual chicken weighs in the 150g. It could be as little as 120 or maybe still 135 depending on how much breading you have and the oil it absorbed. Taking that and multiplying it 2x a day across a week that can add up to a lot of miscalculation in terms of calls and protein(if your goal is to hit some macro targets). It's not much tho, I'm gonna take a very bad guess and say maybe anywhere from 300-800 a week in unaccounted cals depending on the oil you use.

You mentioned that you don't cook your food but maybe you can make slight adjustments to how it's cooked so you can have a clearer picture. Try pan-searing with liberal amounts of salt and freshly ground pepper(game changer to pre) and very little oil so that you can be surer of the calories and maybe even add more chicken or other food like mixed veggies so you can get more nutrients in. As a sample, I cook chicken twice a week. 1.4kg at a time and i use only 3tbsp of olive oil for the whole 1.4kg. There's usually some burnt meat that gets stuck onto the pan and so i pour 500g of mixed vegetables and 500g of green peas and use some of the chicken oil that drips out to deglaze the pan para may lasang chicken din yung gulay.

As for feeling full, protein is found to make you feel full for longer when compared to the other macros like carbs and fat so that can defn be a factor. As for losing weight, i'd encourage you to look into how much you're losing and see if it might be too fast to be sustainable. If it's too fast and if you don't think you can sustain it for a long period of time i'd adjust so that your actual intake closer to 1.8k.

As for losing weight, some resistance training - even a little- will go a long way if you're not doing it already.

@tony2468 sige sir ittry ko yan mukang masarap nga nasanay lng kasi kami dito sa bahay na pag chicken fillet eh may breading lagi. kinausap ko knina ung nagluluto sbi ko wag na lagyan tas kontian lng ung oil, medyo di ko pa mapilit sarili ko na magluto e HAHA siguro kung nka 1-2 weeks ako tpos di ako nag lose weight after counting calories un siguro mapipilitan na ko haha

nag start na dn ako mag cardio everyday, first time ko gnawa to na mag commit sa exercise daily haha sbgay di pa nman sure kung mgagawa ko nga bka mamaya introboys lng e. jumping rope ang napili ko kasi may spacious na area sa bahay nmen. na eenjoy ko naman, mdalas inaabot ako 1-1.5hrs pero syempre puro pahinga un kasi sobrang hina ng stamina ko hahahahaha sguro nsa 30-40mins lng dun ung legit na exercise. sarap ng feeling na pinagpapawisan ako ng sobra. pag after one month na maintain ko to daily bka mag invest na dn ako sa equipments like dumbbels, etc. pero tska na ulit un magpopost nlng ulit ako bago ko bumili sobrang noobs ko e hahahahaha

salamat sa mga tips sir! sobrang helpful sa mga newbie na tulad ko.

@roxcy
pano pag di ko naccount ung oil and breading na ginamit sa cooking, gano kalaki po ba impact non sa overall calories?

if you're going to be meticulous, it will be very hard to calculate, flour absorbs so much fluid, but you won't really know if it's water from the chicken (or from egg if it was egg-washed it) or if its from the oil

when I was still eating breaded stuff, I just add 230kcal

I had this book when I was still interested in culinary, title was something along the lines of "science behind cooking" it had pictures, but it's all black and white, it was pretty old

I'll try to look for it, but iirc, when frying chicken (just chicken) it barely adds any calories as long as you drain/dab it properly (cause chicken doesn't really absorb liquid that much)

when they tried it with breading, it jumped up 200+ (I'm not sure about the figure, but 230 kcal was what I used, so it might be 230?) and pretty much their conclusion was flour absorbs so much oil

and say i eat this meal twice a day, so its 434 x 2 = 868 calories total for a day. and sa tingin ko di nman ako aabot sa 1800 lang ng dahil sa oil+breading na gnamit ko? o mali ba ko?

I dont think it would reach 1800 with those 2 meals

di ko alam kung may mali ba kong ginagawa sa pag bibilang ko o tama ba tlga to. sinusubukan ko gawing 200g of rice + 200g of chicken per meal pero pag tinitignan ko plato ko sobrang dami na prang di ko tlga mauubos. sira ba ung timbangan na gnagamit ko o sadyang madami na tlga un?

200g of cooked rice is kinda typical, it's above 1 serving but not that much

200g of cooked chicken though, personally, I think that's a lot

sadyang madami lang talaga cguro

Good Luck 👍

@roxcy May umay factor din kasi yung chicken breast kasi ‘di siya ganon malasa unlike the thigh part. That makes you feel full kasi dry ang meat (well it depends on how you cook the protein). Kung nagwo-worry ka on exceeding your required cals per day tanggalin mo breading sa chicken. Instead of using flour, i suggest gamit ka na lang ng mga seasonings like paprika, pepper, onion and garlic powder. For the oil, use 2 tbsp olive oil (max) after frying i-rest to remove excess oil. To sum it up, i strongly suggest not to fry the chix. There many ways to cook it like baking, or ihalo sa veggies para di ka mag-consume ng maraming oil. Goodluck man!

@fluffykits onga eh ung thigh part best part tlga. oo sir tanggalin ko na ung breading nasanay lng kmi sa bahay na pag chicken fillet may breading e. kaso bka di ko kayanin kumain ng chicken na hindi fried haha pde siguro pag turbo? un dn isang favorite ko na ulam nmen sa bahay e turbong manok haha salamat sa tips sir!!