Is my current workout routine effective for muscle growth?

phronema

Hi

I started going to the gym about a year and a half ago and I have built some muscle. Recently I decided to go on a clean bulk and I was wondering if my workout routine is good enough for good muscle growth.

I workout about 3 times a week, occasionally 4 times a week. My workouts are long roughly 1,5 hours and my splits are: currently do:

Workout 1: Chests, Back and Biceps - Chest Press 3 x 8-12, Butterly 3 x 8-12, Rear Delt Reverse Fly 3 x 8-12, Bicep Curl 3 x 8-12, Preacher Curl 3 x 8-12, Low Row 3 x 8-12

Workout 2: Triceps Shoulders - Overhead Press 3 x 8-12, Shoulder Press 3 x 8-12, Arm Extension 3 x 8-12, Triceps Pushdown 3 x 8-12, Lateral Raise 3 x 8-12

Workout 3: Legs - Seated Calf Raise 3 x 8-12, Leg Raise Horizontal 3 x 8-12, Leg Press 3 x 8-12, Hack Squat 3 x 8-12, Leg Extensions 3 x 8-12

@phronema Most studies find that frequency per muscle of 2-3x per week is better than 1x per week for muscle growth. It's not that you won't grow muscle with 1x per week, but you'll get much more with more frequency.
TBH you're doing a ton of arm and shoulder work and not much leg work. I'd pick a program that somebody else has written and work off it. strongerbyscience has good hypertrophy templates.

I use a lot of antagonist paired sets in upper body work, alternating doing push/pull/rest 2-3 min /push/pull/rest 2-3 min. This saves a lot of time by allowing me to rest for 2 exercises at once

@sls2labs Second this. I ended up doing PHUL because I wanted the twice a week frequency but didn't have time for a 6 day PPL. The results were pretty good to. Upper lower workouts tend to be longer but I manage to get them all done in about 90 mins, including a little core work each workout.