Is this Pull work out balanced?

packers213

Deadlift - 3 sets x 6-10 reps

Dumbbell Row - 2 sets (each side) x 8-12 reps

Lat Pulldown - 3 sets x 8-12 reps

Facepull - 3 sets x 12-15 reps

Shrugs - 3 sets x 8-12 reps

Bicep 21s - 5 sets x 21 reps

With the reps, I move up if I can do the higher number and move down if I can’t do the lower number.

@packers213 personally i would not be doing deadlifts on a pull day at all but if youre trying to emphasize glutes,hams, and spinal erectors a bit more this training phase its ok to have some untraditional weekly workout ordering.

but if thats not your goal, then all you’re doing is pre-exhausting your back muscles and your entire CNS before every other actual back movement. you will see much better back gains without deadlifts first. but again, if you want less back priority and more hip hinge muscle priority in your physique i think thats ok

it may seem a little on the higher end of volume if youre doing this twice a week, but for once a week looks ok

@danny4mission I do 4 to 6 days a week (usually 5, if not 4, 6 days a week is maybe once a month) but will follow the PPL cycle, so it’s a little less than twice a week.

Would you recommend taking out deadlifts entirely or moving them to leg day? (haven’t finalised leg day routine yet).

Should I then not replace it to take the workload of the workout down a little bit?

@packers213 i think for an overall balanced physique we should always have at least one hip hinge. This may be down to preference but for purely bodybuilding and hypertrophy I may suggest doing RDLs instead of conventional deadlift.

Id also suggest moving it to leg day yea. I also do PPL,rest day repeat. But i have 2 different leg days.

So I’ll do PP(L-Glute/Ham focus), rest, then PP(L-Quad focus), rest. repeat.

a focus doesnt mean I only do quads on a quad focused day. It just means my quad workouts go first on that day and instead of an RDL ill do a back extension machine bc its less taxing. And on glute/ham focused day Ill do RDLs, ham curls, then usually finish up w a kickback that still definitely works the quads but its 3rd in my order

leg days take everything out me so i find this way of doing it helps me manage my fatigue a lot

@packers213 Personally I'd move deadlift to a leg day and do pull ups instead. If you can't do pull ups you can do assisted pull ups with either a band or machine. If pull ups feel too easy you can do weighted pull ups.

Imo pull ups are by far the best back exercise. So many people skip out on them for lat pull downs but pull ups are extremely good for back development and nothing is cooler than being able to do weighted pull ups