Just got my first Front Lever

00_mary

At last my first front lever, or something resembling one!

Not very good form I know. Arms bent and piking at the hips. In
my defence it was the the fourth one I'd done in a couple of minutes. Anyway I'm hoping it wont take me very long to clean it up. Any comments on how long to go from bad form to good form welcome. I'm training the FL every other day.

What did it for me was a combination of weighted pull ups - 5 x 5 x 20kg - every other day coupled with FL training every alternate day. The usual progressions trained, starting with the hardest and working through to the easiest. Band assisted full FL, single leg (can opener) FL, advanced tuck FL. I found the band assisted FL particularly useful as this gave me a sense of what the FL is actually like to hold. My regime for these was 5 x 10 second holds with black resistance band stretched from the bar to my foot. I even did these on non FL training days, so pretty much every day for 4 months.
I've been messing about with the FL now for 5 years but only got serious and made it my focus about 6 months ago. If I were to offer advice it would be if you want to see progress with your FL training then make it your primary focus. I'd also strongly recommend a lot of band assisted work.

For the record I'm 72kg, 5'9'' and 61 years old!

@00_mary Very inspiring! I am 31 and have struggled with the FL for about 2 years. Progress is slow, probably because I only train for it 2-3x per week. Thought I would age out of it, but I'm glad to see I shouldn't lose hope as I age!

@zezune we are still.. young. our testosterone levels are still very high haha. but 2 years with 2-3x frequency which is optimal.. should way past master it by now imo. maybe ya gotta change up your routine for better results.

@mothball Or likely diet.

People frequently eat whatever they want as long as they consider it "healthy" and don't track protein when they train BWF, as a result end up eating at maintenence with very low protien(for an athlete).

People often don't realize that BWF is strength training, and you need to eat at a surplus with at least 1g lb/bw protien to gain strength.

@mybridges Sufficed to say that, as is always the case, both sides have their research, both ends of the research can be criticized on some methodological grounds or another....We don’t know how much protein is required to optimize all of the potential pathways important to athletes.

Reddit pedantry aside, the reason I said that is two points:
  1. We don't know the exact protien intake needed.
  2. Not enough protien can cause problems with training, however eating more has no negative effects.
So in other words: Eat more protien whether its .8g/lb or 1.5g/lb is completely missing the point.

I get it, people on reddit want to be the guy who totally proves another person wrong so that everyone starts clapping but that was just a slight detail on my post getting caught up on the specific numbers is pointless.

@dawn16 I don't think it's missing the point - the point of addressing insufficient protein is valuable, but the nuance of sustainability and QoL is a huge factor as well. Thus, finding a more precise value has merit in 1) being cost effective (protein sources are expensive), 2) giving people more dietary freedom in their food choices, which work together to 3) increase long term adherence - 2 months of boosted protein will pale in comparison to consistently sufficient protein intake over years.

From what I recall from current findings of protein consumption in trained athletes, it's something along the lines of .6 g/lb while in maintenance/surplus, and .7/.8 g/lb in deficit - and in extreme cases of deficit (~50% caloric deficit or more), particularly in lean (

@00_mary great work. you are attempting the most difficult form of a strict front lever in my opinion. from a full hang lifting your toes upward.

If you want to work on straight arm and perfect parallel for, I think you could work starting in chin to bar position, and then lowering back down and straighten arms out while rotating your body under like this.

once you get that form perfected, work from the bottom up ;like you are doing. it is definitely possible to keep up what you are doing and eventually perfect it, but in my opinion it will take longer. just my 2 cents. others opinions may vary.

I have seen great success in this method.

@1harvey is it really the easiest? I can raise from deadhang to one leg extended FL and then extend the other leg for few seconds but I cant remain in FL at all when I do from the pull up hold

@00_mary
  • Good job man! FANTASTIC!!!!
  • That bar looks thick - try on a thinner bar and WRAP YOUR THUMBS AROUND IT - to get more control.
  • Don't just 'hang' on the bar, all loose; you must psych up SQUEEZE IT SUPER TIGHT - this serves to activate more muscles in your arms which carries through to the required muscle activation in the shoulders, lats and back.
  • Also I 'twist' the bar outwards - -seems to lock in my arms and shoulders and back.
  • Point your toes - reaching to the horizon - and keep your breathing in 'power mode' - like almost hyperventilating - but it forces you to maintain a strong core!
  • (Source - 35 sec strict FL)

@michaelphemo Wow thanks, praise from the master!! Will def try a thinner bar. Locking in all that body tension as well though I think that prob takes a bit of practice and neurological path building.

@00_mary Great work! So you only trained static holds? I’m personally not there yet but I’m seeing great results with slow/controlled (adv tucked) front lever raises done for a few sets. It’s essentially a bodyweight lat pull down so you also get to train the whole range of motion which is nice and will pay off in the future. Saying that, I need to start incorporating some of those bands into my training too.

@00_mary Thank you so much for this, and great job! I'm 3 years into BWF and shooting for my first FL, and this is exactly what I needed to hear.

Did you back down on your other progressions while you focused on your FL? Did you drop pushing entirely during this time, or one day a week? How did you balance your focus on FL with the rest of your normal full body training?

Back