Kettlebell weight at my (f) fitness level?

pencillead

Hi there,I'm curious what people advise for a kettlebell weight to start with at my specific activity level and interest.

I'm a 5'5 woman, 121 lbs, and a runner who is just starting to get into more regular weight lifting (mostly to build up strength so I can better protect my knees and overall body on runs). I'm not super strong, but I'm regularly frustrated by heavy restaurant doors, if that helps lol. That said, I'm not a total weakling. I've been doing deadlifts etc. with my 20lb hand weights this week just fine.

I'm considering a 20lb kettlebell, but I really only want to buy one kettlebell and use it for awhile. Should I get a 25? Or maybe start even lower? I've heard you can graduate pretty quickly so I don't want to waste my money on anything that's too light, but I also don't want to injure myself, obv!

Thank you : )

@pencillead I recommend you get a 12kg this will work for swings (start with deadlifts to get the hinging down you want to keep your upper body fixed and all of the movement will come from the hinge). You could also get 6kg and 8kg for pressing and maybe a Tukish get up. You can do some gorilla rows for the pulling exercises to help you open the heavy restaurant doors! Happy journey into KB!!!

@pencillead If there is a Planet Fitness near you, give them the $10. Use their kettlebells for a month. Figure out the weight/weights you want. They will have up to 35 lbs.

Show up for pizza day. Eat $10 worth of pizza. Call it even and cancel your membership. Buy a kettlebell or two, probably three.

@lincolncreek This is going to sound insane but I actually have a gym in my building, but it’s usually guys lifting and I don’t feel comfortable lifting next to them. So I’m starting just up at my place on my own.

@pencillead That’s not insane. That’s a real thing for a lot of women. That’s why places like Curves and Planet Fitness (PF) exist. You definitely need to feel comfortable where you’re at. I suggest PF often though because good kettlebells are expensive.

By the time you buy a 12kg and 16kg from Rogue, you’re at $120 plus shipping. Add a 6kg and that’s another $35. That’s my rough guess at a s set you’d enjoy starting with.

But whatever you end up doing, I hope it works out for you. Kettlebells are the best things since sliced bread for most people.

@pencillead Start small work your way up. I was massively overweight when I started swinging bells (38M, 6'3" 260lbs) and began with a 15lbs kettle and worked my way up to a 60lbs bell over two year. Having a collection is part of the process.

@pencillead 12kilo/24 pounds is the usual starting weight for women . Just focus on developing good techniques for the first few weeks, don't try to get crazy with complexes and long cycles.

@pencillead considering your size and weight, I wouldn't skip the 8kg weight class - but 12kgs is probably where most of your growth will be. If you can only get one, get a 12kg, but if you have the opportunity, a small array of bells is nice - having 2 of lower weight for warmups, one-handed work, longer flows, learning forms etc, and 1 of a higher weight class to push yourself to the max.

In your case, that'd be something like 2x 8kgs and 1x 12kg, with a 16kg a year or two in the future.

@pencillead you definitely don't need two, it's just a bit easier to load yourself up to the next step. Basically, nearly any move that can be done 1-handed can also be done with 2 bells either in parallel or alternatively, and it increases the intensity from cardio to HIIT intensity.

You can definitely start with 1 8kg and 1 12kg, I'd highly recommend the 8kg considering your weight both for warmup and safe learning of form, later on as you familiarize yourself with both in 1- and 2-handed work on both weiights, you can see if if you'd like to double the 8s or move up right away to double 12s - either way, double bells are a way to both get more out of the time spent, and a lot of fun, I recommend!

(just quick results from double kettlebell flow on YT and there's obviously tons more, the second short is from the Flowing Dutchman he's awesome)

@pencillead 10kg might work but keep in mind KBs put a different kind of load in your body than standard linear barbell and dumbbell training. There are a lot of ballistic moves that send the bell moving at speed so those G forces will make it feel heavier. It might be a safer bet to start with an 8kg, which is about 17lbs. Going a little lighter will allow your body to adjust to the new movements and minimize the risk of injury that might come from joint stress or improper form.