Kettlebell weight recommendation

theheretic

Searched first, went through the results, but I believe I have a special situation due to my experience/background.

Weight: 90 kg / 198 lbs

Height: 184 cm / 6' 0"

I already own a SkiErg and a RowErg. I alternate days of training with them.

I also regularly run (mostly treadmill) and bike, mostly indoors, I own a Tacx Neo Bike (98% racing on Zwift, 1300+ races up till now, top cat B).

90% of the time I'm top 10 on the Concept2 SkiErg WOD, my 1000m best time is 3:15.5.

My rowing distance for this season is 2.1 mio meters.

When I do a SkiErg session I also do functional training (6 kg wallball, overhead to toes, push-ups, air squats, etc.)

Looking to add the following exercises to my routine: Romanian deadlift, overhead press, swing, halo, triceps extension.

What kettlebell weight should I start with? 24 kg?

@theheretic 24 would most likely be too heavy for halos and presses, but would be fine for deadlifts. It's better to start light and upgrade later, than to start heavy and not be able to do the exercises.

@theheretic The distribution of the weight of the kettlebell is as important as the weight itself. If you are not used to using them, it can be quite a shock. Kettlebells hit different to barbells/dumbells/calisthenics (from my personal experience).
Best thing would be to get a day pass to a local gym that has a variety of bells and just try them out and see for yourself. You may find you need to purchase multiple bells for different exercises.

@justsaying thank you! understood!

and completely agree. when I bought the skierg in oct 2022, to start working on my upper body as I can't swim anymore, took me quite some time to get the hang of it... the technique (even tho it was easier to catch up with it, compared to rowing when I started 5 years ago, felt more natural with skierg).

@theheretic If you're already that good with rowing and skierg and your 90 kg bodyweight is at relatively low fat, it seems you're in very good shape and you'll be able to handle a heavy KB to start with. I disagree with the other commenter: 24 kg is too light for deadlifts and I also think with your fitness level, you'll be able to do halos with the 24 quite easily. You should also be able to do a couple of overhead presses with the 24, maybe push presses on your less strong side. With your rowing volume and body weight & height, you should easily be able to do single handed swings with the 24.

I can also imagine that with all the cardio you're doing, you're mostly interested in gaining strength with the KB so I assume you're fine with starting it with low rep ranges when doing KB exercises. So I'd say, if you're really that fit already, 24 kg might be too light to start with or at least you'll outgrow that quickly. But on the other hand, 24 will be too heavy if you're targeting high volume, high rep snatches for example.

If you've got the budget, get an adjustable one. If not, 24 for high rep work, and 28 or even 32 for low rep work, depending on current level of fitness.

@soldierofgod1988 thank you for your extensive comment! really appreciate it!

and u're pretty much spot on, I do lots of cardio (for a reason, single father to a 9 year old with special needs (autism, non verbal), hyper active, with extremely bad pain receptors) so my goal is to add strength, besides the cardio, so I can keep up with him. I'm getting older, he's not even close to his prime years.

for example i just finish a skierg workout: 10 x 500m, 2 min rest, rest being 10 x 6kg wallball overhead to toes, followed by 10 push up. that was the warm up, for today's WOD 12x1 min, 1 min rest. managed a 1:45.6 avg after a bad night sleep.

i wish to add the kettlebell to the wallballs and push up, alternating, etc. various exercises.

@theheretic 45/m here.

Best advice is to go to a big box store and try a couple ie one that can press barely press up 5 times and a heavier one for swings.

Don’t go too big too fast and make sure to work on your form in order to avoid elbow issues.

@theheretic Personally I would go for 24kg.

The reason is I believe 16 will be too light for you on anything other than overhead press if that since you already do pushups.

It's ok if you do just one ohp in the beginning, even assisted. The goal is 10-15 per set, and you seem to have the cardio part down.

That or an adjustable kettlebell that covers 12-32 for 250 dollars. Also look into Mark Wildman and his "tetris of training" video series. Takes about an hour to go through them but then you know how to setup your programming 😀

@theheretic I started kettlebells at 43 years old, about 185lbs, 6’ 0”. I started as a complete beginner, I hadn’t done an exercise program in over 10 years.

I started with the Simple and Sinister program. The recommended weight is 16 KG. That weight was way too much for me, so I spent two or three weeks prepping for the program. By the time I started 16 KG was completely fine. After about a month it was too light.

I recommend either the Ironmaster or the Kettlebell Kings adjustable kettlebells.

Back