Kettlebell Workout Confusion - Help Please

dallaskay

Hi Guys,

I need help in understanding how the workouts impact your body. I am attaching 2 workouts, the two are as follows:

1 -
- quick and dead by Pavlova - I have been doing this since 22nd May and what have noticed is that although my pushups have improved, I am doing them with the resistance band now, similarly am using a 24kg bell for the swings and since two weeks have started using resistance band with swing as well. My eating habits haven't changed much, but when I started this pgm I weigehed in at 89/90kgs (am 6ft). I currently weigh around 94kg (may have gained some muscle, but not sure).

2 -
- these type of sessions have been doing for around a year and lost from 114kgs to 89kgs.

Very recently I thought of measuring what I am burning (use a strap heart rate monitor) as I wasn't liking my increase in weight. While doing session 1 I am burning around 700ish calories. Also I have added clean and jerk (4 sets of 10/side - 2 sets with 16kg and 2 sets with 20kg) at the end of workout 1 and 700ish calories is including that.

Doing workout 2 I burn around 985 calories. If I keep on doing the workouts like number 2 am I not bound to burn more fat and gain muscle as well? rather than the other program? How do the kettlebell programs actually work that will let you burn more fat and you gain muscle too.

Thanks for reading the long post, but I want to understand how this works.

@dallaskay How to gain muscle: workout with heavy weights and make your body adapt to heavier and heavier weights

How to lose bodyfat: eat less food, make your body use bodyfat as fuel

While it's possible to do both at the same time, I would avoid, as it's nearly impossible in practice. Both are stressful on the body, doing both at the same time is a lot of stress. If you are new to both, it means you will probably give up. Avoid trying to track how many calories you burn during a workout, this is the wrong metric to be tracking (and the numbers you come up with are probably wrong).

My recommendation is get as strong as possible first, while eating a "cleaner" diet of a LOT of food. You'll feel full and you're learning how to properly fuel your progress. You'll probably lose a little bit of bodyfat in the process while not even trying. Then when you feel like doing a "cut" (after 6 months to a year of serious strength training) you focus on just maintaining the strength and lowering the caloric intake. And since muscle takes a lot of calories to maintain, losing bodyfat becomes super duper easy, especially in comparison to trying to gain muscle mass.

@jackier293 Hmm yes, i don't worry about calories burned that much. As after 3 months of workout 1, normal squats and lunges are so much easier and pushup are so much easier as well. So I have gained something 😊for sure. But need to think long term. I have doing home workouts with weights for nearly 2yrs now, so wanted to switch to kettlebells and see how that works as if I can do more damage (to the body) in as less time as possible - hellaluje to me 😁...
Thanks for your insight