lifting programs that DEMAND you eat like it's your job?

skilletboy

Hey all,

Currently have been looking for a new program for hours and just need advice. My lifting has been relatively inconsistent for the past several months due to school and mild injury (on top of that i had covid for two weeks). I've been lifting for about a year. After some basic 5x5 stuff, I tried nsuns (little progress because i was undereating/sleeping), J&T2 (ditto) and Candito6wk (with decent results, but not as hardcore as i'm looking for).

I finally have the next two months where I know school won't get in the way of lifting, so I want to bulk for the next two months. By bulk I mean all-out bulk. Both nsuns and J&T2 demanded that I do so (even though i didn't because school). However, I don't want to hop back on these programs because 1) I believe i'm past the linear progression phase and 2) I didn't like how J&T2 did not give me very specific numbers to hit (like finding xRM for that day). I need a program that needs me to eat in order to hit specific number, reps, etc (ie a brutal program).

Thoughts?

@skilletboy It sounds like you know what the issue is. You’re not eating enough! The lifting program doesn’t matter as much. Set a calorie amount, meal prep for the week every Sunday. Hit your macros every day.

@skilletboy Super squats. It's linear periodization but you can start a little light and take more breaths to make your reps later on the program. Basically built around the breathing squat- taking 3 huge breaths between each rep, which lets your legs recover between reps. You use that rest to do 20 reps with your 10rm.

I started a bit too light at 75x20 due to time off lifting immediately before starting (program recommends starting with a moderate poundage if you're not used to hard training/had time off before starting), my breathing squat went from 105x27 when feeling strong last winter to 160x26 when feeling totally wiped out at the end if the program. I did 170x9 as a straight set two weeks later. I also took my stiff leg deadlift from 125x24 to 200x16.

I grew a lot of muscle, my mom said it looked like I grew more every day. I gained 17 pounds in 6 weeks, but I suspect some was from creatine as I dropped by 4lb a few weeks later after running out of creatine. I intend to run it again because my reps were higher than 20 so I know I can add a lot of weight in my 2nd run.

Some of the stuff in the book isn't really true with modern knowledge, such as stretching the ribcage with pullovers to have a bigger frame, but the program works. I skipped the pullovers even though I know they don't work like that, nonetheless...

Downsides: I have stretch marks on my lower inside thighs, directly above the knee, from my legs and quads getting bigger. I had a little beforeas I've gained a lot over 2020, but now I have a lot.

@skilletboy Really liked Deep Water Beginner. Since it’s designed to be 5 consecutive days (5th is conditioning), I felt like I had to eat in order to be able to muscle through the next workout. Plus, even though you’re doing 10x10 twice a week, it’s set at a low enough weight that it’s not as hard on your joints.

@skilletboy Check out the sticky at the top of r/gainit - they're doing a program party that consists of three different programs that are high volume and notoriously good at making you want to eat. They are:
  • 5/3/1 BBB Beefcake
  • 5/3/1 Building the Monolith
  • Deep Water Beginner
  • Deep Water Intermediate
Any or all of those would be a good choice. There was a Deep Water review posted on this sub not long ago, if you'd like a woman's perspective on it. (These programs are popular with dudes but anybody can run them.)

@skilletboy Stronger by Science (formerly Average to Savage), the hypertrophy variation, might be a good fit. It’s a lottt of volume, not linear progression, and very specific. I also don’t like the wiggle room factor you mentioned, the only options on this are whether to hit a semi-heavy single before going into main working sets and how far to take the AMRAP set. I didn’t run it as an all-out bulk, more moderated than that, and I was still very pleased with the progress I made. I think it would have been a thing of glory if I’d really been bulking hard on it, I’d be excited to hear how it might go for you!

@skilletboy I tried the Calgary Barbell 16 week and 8 week programmes. It’s very heavy on volume at times and has a linear element to it but not necessarily just increasing the weight 2.5kg each week. The sets and reps vary weekly and back downs are programmed in.

I didn’t make as much progress as I would’ve liked with it but I followed the 16 week programme over lockdown, lifting in less ideal conditions and the 8 week as we came out of lockdown. The 8 week was probably better for progress but I did pick up an injury towards the end (not programme related).

It also programmes your variations way heavier than your competition squat/bench/deadlift. It does go off RPE but also gives you a suggested percentage of what RPE 8 may be based on your max and it’s usually way higher than the regular lifts that week. I kinda just started doing my own thing with the variations.

@takkula forgot to mention also that nsuns is kinda what gave me an injury lol. i believe that amount of volume + weekly progression was not sustainable for me whatsoever