Looking for dumbbell recommendations

bow2me

Due to space constraints, I'm wondering if upgrading from my current crappy dumbbell set to one of the fast asjust dumbbells is a good or bad idea.

Has anyone used one of these? Any websites to use or avoid? Have a better suggestion?

I'm in Ottawa, Canada but can grab shipments from the US.

Bowflex

CoreFX

Montreal Weights

@bow2me Bowflex are OK but really wide since it's full width at all weights and only goes to 50lbs which isn't great depending on your goals.

CoreFX look pretty good, same width issue but 71lbs is a much better top end.

Montreal are just knockoff Bowflexes.

I would go with CoreFX out of those choices, especially at the price right now. If you don't mind spending a bit more I went with the NuoStyle ones. Bit sturdier, I prefer the metal handle (although the BowFlex CoreFX isn't too bad), and they are much less wide which makes overhead exercises less awkward. They're also easier to change quickly but honestly that's not a big deal as the Bowflex/CoreFX style are still quick.

@kel_sulz235 That's a very good write-up. With their current promo, the NuoStyle look like they run about $450 CAD. The $100 for shipping could be a little more attractive, but I may be able to ask someone to pick them up for me. Unless I can get a better suggestion, I'll look into those.

The comments are appreciated!

@bow2me How are you liking the nuostyles you got from gearforfit?

Looking at getting adjustable dumbbells and these came up on my search but hesitant to get a nuobell knockoff for fear of poor quality

@kpodekon I really like them. Haven’t used them for a couple of weeks though, because I hurt my arm doing something unrelated and need to let it rest and heal.

@kpodekon Great so far! Absolutely no issues at all, they're still in perfect condition. I'm fairly careful with them but have definitely set them down moderately hard quite a few times and it hasn't done anything to them. I obviously wouldn't want to be dropping them or something but they've been used pretty hard by both my wife and I and are holding up great.

@bow2me It was a hefty price to pay. But they felt like one piece. Compared to the others that click in and attach. I felt more secure with these. Got the extension kit n table. It was a big buy for sure. But for me. Was worth every penny. Sturdy to. Could toss em out a 2 story window n find it intact on the ground. Lol

@bow2me powerblocks. there's usually tons on FB marketplace (at least here in USA), but mostly the 20 or 50lb kits. If you look around you might be able to find the 90lb (each) set. I bought some before Covid and they are great.

@bow2me I have the Bowflex set, and I really like it. The 52.5 lb limit isn't bad because there are ways to use lighter weight to greater effect. Bigger than about 50 lbs, and you ought to be working with a barbell anyway (row, deadlift, chest press are going to progress well beyond 50/hand plus squats.

The bigger downside to the Bowflex set is the bulky size at low weight. I really like the weight switch mechanism, but I don't trust it fully, so I wouldn't do goblet squats with these. Only exercises where you hold them by the handle.

I got mine for about $275 USD on sale some years ago. I don't use them as often as I should, but I still co sidereal it a very good purchase.

@teapartypatty Thanks for the reply. And $275 sounds like a steal.

I'm hoping to grab one of the heavier sets, but I'm not going to be benching monster amounts regardless. I just like not making the unit obsolete quickly if I manage to get stronger.

@bow2me What I've learned is that you don't need heavy dumbbells. You can do modification to the exercises to get more benefit without increasing weight. Primarily, time under tension; slow, controlled movements. If you get to a point where 50 lbs is truly insufficient, you aren't looking for a compact set anyway.

@bow2me I got a refurbished set of Bowflex 1090s for a good deal off of Amazon. They’ve held up for the 5 years I’ve had them. The weight goes from 10-90 pounds. You can’t slam them down, but they do the trick.

I don’t need much more weight than that considering they’re mostly for supplemental work and I spend most of my workouts under a barbell.

I’d also recommend buy/sell/trade sites or Facebook marketplace. Adjustable dumbbells are typically folks get and then lose that initial motivation. Looking at my local marketplace I see a few that are “bought during pandemic but rarely used.”