Looking for new app to replace Johnson & Johnson 7 minute

vlisco

I've been using Johnson & Johnson apps for years, because I love them. I used the women's/postpartum workout app for several years, until it was removed, and since then have been using the J&J regular 7 minute workout app. This app is about to be removed as well, so I'm wondering if anyone knows of a replacement possibility.

What I love about this app:
  • it has a lot of variety within the workouts (I get bored quickly)
  • It doesn't require me to choose anything -- I just hit start and it has something ready to go
  • I can put in my preferences (like no jumps) and/or mark actions I don't want to do (tricep dips, supermans, for example)
  • It's free -- although I'd be willing to pay if it's decently similar
  • It allows me to select a fitness level and asks if I want to increase or decrease intensity after every workout. This really helps me push myself, because I want to be more fit.
I've tried several already, and most don't allow me to skip jumps, they don't have much variety, and there are too many workout options (leg day, arm day, core day, etc. I just want to hit everything every time). I'm not firm on the 7 minute workout, although I have always enjoyed it, but I've also enjoyed HIIT and tabata.

Thanks

@vlisco Some time ago I wrote the developers of the app about open-sourcing it (I also remember seeing other reviews on the App store that asked for it) but did not get a reply.

So I sat down with ChatGPT and we did a minimalist implementation in React. Source https://github.com/ltalirz/open-7m-workout Link https://ltalirz.github.io/open-7m-workout/

I'm not a JS developer, so it's indeed as bare-bones as possible, but I did my first workout with it yesterday and it does what I need.
It should work on any device with a modern web browser.
I'm not going to put much more development effort into it, but feel free to fork and/or to contribute features you need.

@vlisco Check out the down dog apps, they have a hiit version and it sounds very similar to the J&J app. Let’s you customize each workout and you can skip jumps.

@vlisco Found one that is free and robust - in my opinion satisfies now that J&J 7M is terminating. Go to Nike Training Club app - finally found something for free and just as good. Now I have peace of mind

@smjuweni
is a "just start without"button

Have you found it? This one seems way more complicated and doesn't seem to automatically rotate through workouts so I have to spend a bunch of energy just picking a workout before I can even start. Have you had better luck with it?

@barry16 It seems you have to find what workouts you want, then it is easy. Bonus: many of the workouts are on Netflix, just search "Nike". Also, 7 minute workout still available but not supported, so eventually it won't work, and you can't get it from play store.

@vlisco I am in the same boat! I've used this app for a few years and I love it so much. I wish it wasn't being retired. We're you able to find something similar?

@kinzamalik01 I've been using the DownDog HIIT app. It's pretty close. Less consistent in difficulty, and less ability to customize what exercises you prefer or want to not do, but there are other things about it that are pretty nice -- like being able to use different levels of difficulty for legs, arms, and core.

@silverblack59 I recorded a workout as a voice memo on my phone (so no visual cues, but the audio by itself will get the job done). Also extremely sad they are retiring this app. It’s perfect for my needs.

@silverblack59 Me too. I have been using it for years - now all apps are paid subscription - probably why J&J is ending the app. Too bad as I got used to it and not having to pay. Bet they come out later with a new version with a fee to monetize it. I’ll record my favourite as well. We should share our common recordings somewhere