Losing strength in gym

ehunter

I’ve been in a calorie deficit most of the time for the past 6 months (lost abt 20lbs). I do weightlifting and cardio 6-7 days per week.

For the last month or so I’ve definitely lost strength in the gym. In the beginning I was progressively overloading but that stopped in the last month and at times I’m even subtracting weight.

I really want to lose a few more pounds but do you guys think it’s my long deficit that’s making me struggle in the gym?

I’m actually going to stop doing cardio on weightlifting days but should I start eating at my maintenance number or even a small surplus? It’s disappointing feeling like you’re getting weaker in the gym.

@ehunter A deficit is by definition a deficit of energy. I would not expect to gain strength or even maintain strength after prolonged weight cuts outside of beginner gains while being energy deficient.

This is why people go through bulk/cut periods for basically their entire lifting career.

@ehunter I will say i am no professional whatsoever buttt, being in a constant calorie deficit losing a lot of weight could play a role in how your weight lifting is effected. I would not say go in a surplus if your goal is to lose weight, i would definitely say keep doing cardio even on your weight lifting days, cardio is good for your health, as a lot of cutting weight comes from what you eat. Additionally, losing strength could come from other factors as well, if you’re in a deficit are you getting enough protein needed for your muscles to rebuild? Are you eating a well diet? Are you sleeping enough for you to recover? And also you’re not going to be able to like increase the weights everyday or even every week or maybe every other week or even every month. I definitely have days where im chest pressing 70s and then the next time im down to 60s. To progressively overload does not strictly have to be with the weight your pushing, but it could be down to more minute things like rest pause sets, dropsets, the pace of each set and rep, doing an extra rep or even half rep.

Excuse my long winded paragraph, in short try eating at maintenance see how you feel, see if you’re getting enough protein and recovery.

@ehunter You might be asking too much of your body..

6-7 days of intense exercise whilst in a deficit is p fucking intense. Try giving yourself an extra day off a week to recover more, or up your cals slightly. Remember a 100 cal deficit is still a deficit. You'll lose slowly, but it'll be easier to maintain.

Maintenance cals might be your friend here tho. You'll recomp your body to have more muscle and lose a bit of fat, but likely stay the same weight.

It depends on your overall goals, both short and long term. But doing so much without enough fuel is going to get harder and harder, increasing your chance of burning out and having to take some time away from training. Don't overdo yourself.

@ehunter A calorie is a unit of energy. A calorie deficit means you are consuming less energy than you use. So yes, it would make sense that your strength gains have slowed.

I suggest focusing on your primary goal. If it’s losing weight, get to your goal weight first. If it’s getting stronger, increase your calorie intake and see if that helps.

@dablain My problem is I want to lose more weight but cannot stay away from lifting. I think I’m gonna try a small bulk, see where I get then reassess

@ehunter If you need to lose more weight but have been dieting for a long time, it is advisable to have diet breaks every few months.

It sounds like you sort of already know what your body is telling you.

Rather than bulk, I'd just eat at maintenance for a couple of weeks (or longer depending on how you feel) and reduce the cardio like you said and do a deload on your weight training. Fatigue builds up over time.

Edit: Renaissance Periodization on YT has a lot of informative videos around this subject.

@ehunter Remember that most recommend strength training 3-5 times per week for 30-60 minutes. That is potentially a very low time compared to many gym goers. You may have reached a point in your journey where you need to train less (this may increase again in the future). It's also almost impossible to be in a calorie deficit and continuously gain strength, you will hit a brick wall.

@ehunter Sounds like you are doing too much on a cut. Keep cardio and lifting days separate. 2-3x lifting, maybe 1-2 days of cardio. Can work in a surplus.

Do you know what your current calorie intake is? Sometimes, a diet break is needed, especially as a natural lifter.

@ehunter I'm sorry brother but you were either not training hard enough or you were never I'm calorie deficit. If you really were then progressive overloading over such a long cutting period is not possible. Cheers