M/19/190cm [66kg to 73kg] (4.5 years)

Progress pic:
Am i doing something wrong? I feel like this is what someone would look afte ONE YEAR of lifting, not FOUR +

Been lifting PPL 3x a week up until last summer when i switched to PPL 5x a week. 2 years ago i started on creatine and bulked up to 80kg and cut back down to 66kg in the span of a year. Been lean bulking ever since. For the last year i have been eating 3700 kcals a day and 170g protein.

My lifts have gone up steadily. I feel like i push myself hard every workout. Barbell Bench max i think is around 95kg. Haven't maxed quats and DL. Mainly focusing on hypertrophy but am i missing something? Why am i not bigger? Are my genetics that bad?

@christianwriter87 You haven't done any stretch of training where you train every muscle at least twice a week and only less than year of training every muscle twice in 10 days. What were you expecting to happen?

Do full body 3xweek or upper/lower 4x a week. Frequency is important. You included no information on the total amount of sets per muscle group or anything else relevant so I can't make an assesment beyond that.

@surfing_australian This [sup][sup][sup][sup]^[/sup][/sup][/sup][/sup]
Without talking trash you simply don’t have the physical traits of someone doing a proper workout routine in these pictures. That or your nutrition isn’t what you say it is

@surfing_australian Sorry i TOTALLY forgot but for the first 1.5 years i was training full body split. Than after that it was a upper/lower moxed with ppl for three time as week. But you think simce last year and onwards, training 5 days a week i should be getting better progress?

@christianwriter87 I have no idea since I know nothing about how much volume your doing, what the intensity of your training is like and what your exercise selection looks like. If you want any opinions on anything I would need more insight.

Frequency is important but it's not everything and it depends largely on the factors I mentioned above.

For example right now I train every muscle twice in 8 days because it's the most practical way of structuring my training for my biggest goals. Maybe not the most optimal way to train if we look at just the frequency variable but it works because I'm nailing the intensity, exercise selection and the volume variables. If I had more frequency with my current other variables I simply wouldn't survive my workouts to do them the next time.

@mecajunboy Frequency is a way to fit more quality volume in to a training period it matters in that context. I can't do 20 quality sets of chest in a week if I train chest once every 7 days, I absolutely can if I split it up into two or even three sessions. Over a month or bigger timeframe that simply adds up to a massive difference.

For something like the legs even more so. Right now I do 6 sets of quads and hams twice in 8 days. It would be literally impossible to do the same sets at the same intensity and volume if did them in one session. 12 hard sets of BOTH quads and hams in a single session? That's just not happening is it.

Beginners get recommended higher frequencies because their work capacity per workout hasn't developed so the maximum volume per workout they can do is very low and they need to also develop the basic movement patterns of lifting in general. That absolutely does not mean that higher frequency isn't useful for experienced lifters as I explained.

If you're gonna respond please actually make some valid counter arguments to why I'm wrong and not just wahwah you're wrong

@surfing_australian Your wrong because there’s no such thing as 20 quality sets of chest a week no matter how you break it up. You are grossly over training. You’ve got a few concepts correct in that you can get roughly 6 perfectly stimulative sets per muscle in a session and 9 decently stimulative. The problem is that’s basically all you need in a week. Also if you need 12 sets every 8 days of quads you arnt training hard enough. I do 6 sets of quads a week and that’s literally far more than enough.

@mecajunboy It's funny then that my chest started growing again when I upped the volume to around 20 a week🤔

Of course I can't run 20 sets a week for every muscle group simutaniously or the same one forever. It's a focus period on chest. I would run myself into the ground if I kept it up too long.

I've trained at the volumes you described too, worked for legs, worked for the back and the shoulders. So the biggest muscle groups. It's pretty silly to think that the range just is 6 to 9 sets for every muscle group and regardless of exercise selection.

If I did the volume I do with freeweights only, true I absolutely wouldn't survive and it would be way too much. But I don't, I try use all the available tools.

Also how much volume you can or should do isn't really a constant. The more you do one approach the more your body get used to it. I'm growing better now BECAUSE it's a major change in training volume. I built it up over the course of this year, I didn't jump straight into it. I'm sure I'll have to dial it back soon and then start building back up because the stimulus will start going stale. The sensitivity to volume and intensite changes over time

Try it sometime, just give yourself 2 months at a higher volume and then go back. You'll make better progress during and after that 2 month period because the stimulus was changed for a while.

@surfing_australian God no. Wayyy too much frequency. You only need to hit all the muscle groups once per week. Just keep the intensity high. As soon as i started training less all my lifts went up drastically, within 2 years my bench went up from 95 to 325

@christianwriter87 People are commenting on your training but I still think training 3x a week would get you better results than this over 4 years.

My advice would be record your sets and post them for people to critique. Or even better, hire an online coach for a month. You’ll see if your form is really on point and if you’re really pushing yourself.

Also the basics, eating more, sleeping 7-8h every night, and getting enough protein. Which I assume you are doing. Also, make sure you are training like a bodybuilder if you want to look like a bodybuilder. PPL is ok but if your push is 2-3 sets of 3 reps of bench and some accessories for example, that’s not all you could be doing.

And the main one is you are incredibly small. 73kg on a 190cm frame is quite tiny. You probably shouldn’t be considering a cut for a while. A long while.

@christianwriter87 You are young get around 25 you will have a more “built” body if you keep training. Also eat more because you are too low on weight for your height. At 1.90 you only look solid if you reach 90kg. At 80kg you start to look muscular.

@christianwriter87 It’s not that hard to get to let’s say 85kg with less than 15% body fat if you do a lot of sport. Just make sure to do it now that you have a great metabolism due to the age so you can then maintain easily that weight when you are older. It goes by steps, once you reach 80, you hardly go below 75 no matter what. Once you reach 90 you hardly go below 85 etc. I am little taller than 1.90 and my maximum weight was 93kg 95kg (was training 3-4H per day and eating all the time) and now my normal weight (training 1H per day and eating normal) is around 84kg-86kg (even if I don’t train)

Back