Made it to the 1,000lb club!!

kevin247

Yesterday I hit a 455lb deadlift, which brought my total up to 1,002lb. I am super psyched! When I started out I couldn't even imagine this was even possible. Bodyweight between 137 and 140lb.

Videos of lifts

Squat 347 lb + stiff bar comp deadlift of 435 lb

Bench 200 lb

Deadlift 455 lb on deadlift bar

Training

I've been lifting off and on since the summer of 2011, so about 6.5 years. I started powerlifting training specifically in the fall of 2013, my 1st powerlifting meet was summer 2014.

I was self coached up until this past summer, when I started working with RTS and Mike.

I did starting strength my 1st year of powerlifting but stalled out around the time I did my 1st meet. My numbers were S:245 B:135 D:335 @120lb bodyweight. After that, I switched to a PPL x2 that I wrote. I did that for another year and a half till my lifts were around S: 275 B:150 D:405. I then started an upper/lower split where I did bench 2x a week and squat + deadlifts 2x a week but I alternated which I focused on as the main lift. I was on that until I started coaching with RTS. My lifts were S:315 B:175 D:425 and bodyweight was 128 out of comp.

Current Training

I decided to go up a weight class at that time, from 125 (57kg) to 138 (63kg). I am 5'5 so I was doing myself a huge disservice competing in the 57kg class where everyone else was a half foot smaller than me. Since going up 4 months ago, my lifts have increased dramatically and so has my wilks! RTS had me on an upper/lower split similar to my old one till I competed at USAPL Raw Nationals last month.

Since Nationals, I have been on a full body routine 4x a week, with a bench variation each workout as well as a squat or deadlift variation and accessories. The volume each workout is low to make up for the high frequency. It took my joints and muscles about 3 weeks to get used to the frequency. I seem to be handling it ok now.

The deadlift PR was a total YOLO move on my part and not programmed at all :). I wanted to play with the deadlift bar. This was my 2nd time ever using one, with the 1st being back in 2014.

Progress photos.

Diet

Pretty relaxed. I suck at eating so my #1 goal is just getting my calories. I maintain around 2200-2500. My #2 goal is getting enough protein. I aim for 100g bare minimum and 160g+ when I am prepping for a comp. For supplements, I use protein powder and sometimes take creatine. I take a multivitamin, fish oil, vitamin D, zinc, magnesium, and melatonin every night before bed.

@kevin247 Great job! That is so impressive? Do you have any advice for someone who is just lurking this thread but doesn't know where to start???

@kevin247
I decided to go up a weight class at that time, from 125 (57kg) to 138 (63kg).

Yay! I don't compete anymore due to injury/being old/tiredness but I wish more women were willing to push the boundaries of their category. I know, we all want to look lean/fabulous but at 5'5, you've got to hit the 63kg category to really push the envelope (75kg is probably too high than most are comfortable with). I am also 5'5 and always stuck to 63kg. Great work :)

@dasiebe01 5'5 is actually on the tall side for 63. I think the podium at nats was 5'4, 5'3, 5'5, 5'3 and 5'3. 72 is probably more comfortable for 5'5 women with a fair bit of muscle, depending on levers.

@dasiebe01 63kg is a perfect weight class. I’m 5’4” and exactly 138 without a lot of eating effort. Muscular, softly visible abs... it’s a nice easy place to be.

The fed I’m competing in for my next meet has a 132 and a 148. I think I’ll cut down to the 132, but ugh. I wish I could just be my happy comfortable 138 :(

@kevin247 I am so envious! You are an inspiration. I’ve been working my way towards my mini-goal of 750, but I am quite a bit larger than you are. You are so cute (I love that haircut on you) and you always look like you’re really enjoying yourself out there.
Awesome! Just awesome!

@kevin247 I've been following you on Instagram since I started my fitness journey almost a year ago, and you've been such an inspiration! I've made a lot of decent gains, and you were a huge reason for that, so thanks so much for always being real about your regime, and results, and all the ups and downs, and congratulations on such an awesome accomplishment!

@kevin247 As a guy engaged to a powerful female weightlifter and all around badass - I know exactly how amazing that is, and you deserve all of the jumping high fives.

There is nothing more inspiring and challenging for me than watching my partner plow through the work - it's breathtaking and inspiring for me to do well too.

You're a badass! Go you.

@kevin247 Dude you are my lifting role model! Fellow 5’5” tryna get buff but nowhere near those lifting weights haha. Congrats to you on the awesome lifts — I def look forward to seeing you continue to crush PRs! 😄