Meet GBoB - a five week method to get you stronger

samanddad3201

Grow, Bleed or Break​

I dreamed this up after 12 weeks of Neupert MKM plans using double 24kg bells. Those were hard on the lungs, endurance and sweat glands (at least after week one ramp ups). I missed heavier weights. A lot.

Prior to that I’d done a version of DFW remix with 32kg bells. I wanted to push. But I wanted to push smart. I had never even cleaned double 36kg bells, but I was sure I could. However I knew I couldn’t do a full DFW remix with the bigger bells…at least I couldn’t make an effective run at it.

It occurred to me that a progression through weight (32 to 36), a progression through the shoulder effort (jerk to push press to strict press), and a progression through reps/set could all be done in a single program.

Begin puffery. Chiseled from marble. Fat extracted like bacon on a grill rack. Strength of a demigod. Side eye from all the cool kids. End of puffery.

Cost: normally you would expect to pay two months salary and naming rights to your next three pets for something like this. However, this program only costs all of your excuses. A bargain.

Legal disclaimer: don’t do this.

Soundtrack: 80’s power ballads, of course.

Warmups, cooldowns, accessories, and off days are on you. Somewhere between sitting on the couch and juggling atlas stones should cover it. I warmup with a shoulder medley with bands, 10-15 very heavy (64-72kg) swings and 10-20 one legged deadlifts (same weight as swings). In my experience overload swings are really good for getting your low back ready for heavy cleans.

Food: I ate 1.2-1.5g/kg protein and was in a caloric surplus the whole time. Gained a pound a week.

Weights: Scale this to you. If you can do DFW with a bell, but the next size up ain’t yet happening, those are the two to use.

Key:

C - Clean

J - Jerk

PP - Push press

P - Press (strict)

FSQ - Front squat

Bell does not touch the ground during a set

Format: 30 minutes, auto regulated suffering. As with DFW, I found it useful to have a timer running. I started with an interval to hit my stretch goal and slowed as necessary to keep from dropping heavy s*** on myself.

Week 1 - double 32kg sets of one

Day 1: C+J+FSQ

Day 2: C+PP+FSQ

Day 3: C+P+FSQ

Week 2 - double 32kg sets of two

Day 1: C+J+FSQ+C+J+FSQ

Day 2: C+PP+FSQ+C+PP+FSQ

Day 3: C+P+FSQ+C+P+FSQ

Week 3 - double 36kg sets of one

Day 1: C+J+FSQ

Day 2: C+PP+FSQ

Day 3: C+P+FSQ

Week 4 - double 36kg sets of two

Day 1: C+J+FSQ+C+J+FSQ

Day 2: C+PP+FSQ+C+PP+FSQ

Day 3: C+P+FSQ+C+P+FSQ

Week 5 - double 36kg sets of three

Day 1: C+J+C+J+C+J+FSQ(x3)

Day 2: C+PP+C+PP+C+PP+FSQ(x3)

Day 3: C+P+C+P+C+P+FSQ(x3)

Notes:

Weeks 1 and 2 should be eminently doable if you’ve run DFW with them, so I used them to get comfortable with heavy bells again and try to “outscore” where I’d been on those sets of one and two days from DFW.

Week 3 and 4 were all new territory. Since you start with jerks, it’s a chance to push hard without shoulders being the limiting factor. Day 1 is like setting a bar, day 2 is “can I beat the bar?” Day 3 is shoulder test day.

Notice that week 5 changes the complex/chain pattern. This is because I learned in week 4 that FSQ gets dicey done that way because I had to catch my breath with a lot of weight in the rack. Your mileage may vary, so feel free to run any or all weeks as a complex or a chain or anywhere in between.

Could I run DFW with 36kg bells now? Feels like it but I won’t immediately. I’m running you don’t know squat (7x/wk tho instead of 3x/wk)

@samanddad3201 I’m at about the same stage as you. I’ve run DFW in the past with 28kg - that was about a year ago. I’m stronger now and know I could make it through with 32s with relative ease. Not with 36s though, I can only clean and press 36 for 2.
I’m going to give this a go, starting tomorrow. Then I’ll let you know if I can tackle DFW with 36s after that :)