Muscle weight loss

charmaine93

I'm M, 6' 170. Ideal weight probably closer to 180-185. Since retiring four years ago I dropped to 165, I'm now back up by 5, and at my physical today, doc suggested it was muscle tone. When I worked, I worked out at a downtown Y and did a circuit and some free weights 5x a week. Since leaving I have a bodyweight routine and dial dumbbells but whatever I'm doing isn't enough. A mix perhaps of consistency, degree of difficulty, and equipment. Are there apps that would work with my existing equipment? Do I need new equipment? Rejoin a club? Get a trainer? Crossfit? F45? I live in a metro area so most options are open to me.

Any testimonials or suggestions are welcome.

@charmaine93 When I started working out at the age of 49, I didn't know what I was doing. I would just go into the gym and run a circuit and maybe some cardio. Within a year, I barely saw any results. It wasn't until I started following a tried routine when I finally started seeing real results. For me, specifically, it was the programs run by AthleanX. It has a very handy portal with all of my workouts laid out for me far in advance, and with demo videos for each exercise. It also has a daily ab mix routine that I do after my weight training. I don't have to think about what I need to work on any given day. I just open the portal and get started. I'm 55 now and have never been in better shape. I have an 8 pack now!

There are also plenty of free routines you can find online. The FAQ of /r/fitness has a few.

@charmaine93 In order to gain more weight, muscle or otherwise, you must be in a calorie surplus. Your body must have the fuel to build muscle. There will be some fat gain, but if you're as far under your desired weight as you say, that won't be the worst thing. As far lifting goes, 3-4 times a week with a good program should work fine. There are lots of hypertrophy programs out there. You don't have to necessarily move big weights, but you do have to work. And be patient! It's harder to put muscle on (especially at our age) than to lose weight.

@charmaine93 I've lifted for 20 years. I was a competing powerlifter up until covid. Around 275. After covid I decided to get lean and cut, kept working out, lowered the weights about 25% and doubled my reps, got my diet in line, and now I'm about 205 to 210 lb and look and feel like the best shape of my life. One difference I made that has been tremendous and I wish I knew about it years ago, was the use of calisthenics and body weight exercises. Closed grip open grip pull-ups and different types of push-ups or an everyday part of my workout now. And the results have been phenomenal. So maybe, telling you all that, I would suggest trying some good old-fashioned body weight exercises. I rarely do biceps anymore other than like seven sets of 12 Pull-Ups. Other than that, High rep 25 lb dumbbell to really get the burn on after the Pull-Ups good luck.

@charmaine93 You have the dilemma that many people wish they had! Here’s my 2 cents. If your budget allows, hire a reputable Personal Trainer that also is a Nutrition Coach. We can help design programs for hypertrophy using weight training and nutrition. You’re going to have to eat to build muscle, but you should do it sensibly and with help so you are using the extra calories for muscle building and not fat.

There are some great coaching programs on line that can help you. Most of the major professionals have some - Layne Norton has Biolayne and Mike Isreatel has Renaissance Periodization, and there are others. It really depends on your budget. If you live in a metro area, you may be able to find someone to do in person training. Make sure they fit your lifestyle, your needs and your budget. Do some searching for how to choose a PT and you’ll have a bank of questions ready for your interview.

Good luck and happy fitness!!!