My fitness journey, bodyweightfitness has massively improved my lifestyle

humbled1982

Hey guys! I've been working out for 9 months and I just wanted to share my journey as way to thank you, it would also be an honor to maybe motivate somebody reading this post to keep grinding.

The journey

2019 - Probably my worst moment in life, just a 16 y/o full time gamer (except for school...), this ruined my posture and somehow unbalanced my hip, left side hangs lower than the right side.

2020 - I started practising parkour and got thinner, muscle mass still remained pretty much at 0 tho. Wish I had more honest pictures from this year, here I'm trying my hardest to look good...
Covid and lockdowns started so RIP my parkour career, 6 last months of the year I did absolutely nothing.

2021 - Here we are, been training for 9 months and this is how I look as for now, right after eating on a rest day, as honest as it gets.

Hip still fucked unfortunately, saving up money and courage to go see a P.T. at the moment.

I have been eating a ton more than I used to so BF% has increased but so has my muscle mass (finally!)

How it went

It started very slowly, I greased the groove until 3 pullups (coming from 1 very very shaky negative), then added pushups and squats.

My wrist hurt a ton when I began pushups, I even felt some electric shocks going through my forearms, they were probably very weak due to all the years spent clicking and typing, these problems have disappeared after proper (and daily) warm ups and stretches.

I made the jump to the RR on June and began boxing, this is where I'm at right now:

3x5 pull ups

3x6 beginner shrimp squats, sometimes I do hindu and sumo squats to work on mobility

3x8 diamond push ups

3x8 inverted rows

3x3 dips (I just started doing them 2 weeks ago, finally moved to a place with a calisthenics park)

3x8 single leg deadlift

How has working out helped me

I finally have self confidence, no more shame in taking the shirt off or feeling weaker than everybody, I actually believe I'm among the strongest people I know with my age.

My posture has improved a ton, I feel more energetic throughout the day and all of this is due to bodyweight fitness, not to mention the discipline it has taught to a teen who did nothing but play videogames.

My plan is to keep working on the RR for the rest of the year and then cut some weight and reevaluate the next step from there, nevertheless all of this has been possible thanks to this subreddit. Thank you guys!

edit: formatting

@cookiesforthree Sounds awesome to me I really hope he starts working on it!

I also think it's nice that he is talking about strength and not physique; when I started out I only focused on physique but it doesn't bring much, if any motivation short-term, but banging out an extra rep the next day, or the feeling of finally achieving a new progression is what really kept me going :)