Need advice on workout routine!!

metalburner

Hello! I’m 19F, long story short I started on birth control and gained a lot of weight, when I was in highschool I had sports to help me maintain my weight and stay fit, and now that I don’t have that anymore plus birth control, and no gym membership, it’s hard for me to workout at home. To add on I was in a quad accident when I was 14, and I seriously injured my back, I don’t know what’s wrong with it because I never got it checked out I never went to the hospital for it. I just stood up and walked it off, and now I’m paying the prices. So I need workouts, at home, that don’t rely me getting on my back but still helps me lose this belly fat. I am 250 lbs right now, I do carry my weight in my ass and my thighs, so I wanna tone that as well. But my belly fat is not appealing to me and I’d like to change that most! Thanks so much! I hope there is some decent advice! Be nice!

@metalburner First off, you can't target fat loss. Genetics determine where fat is stored and when you lose fat you lose it holistically. It's a blessing and a curse. No you can't just target your tummy and legs to lose weight there, but because fat is lost everywhere when you're losing weight the "formula" is really simple.

Eating at a small (SMALL: don't fucking starve yourself) calorie deficit + working out 3-4 days a week + good sleep = fat loss.

By far the easiest way to cut calories healthily is to cut soda / beer (which I understand is hard when you're young). If you're eating dessert every meal, staap. If you get a sweet drink at starbucks ask for half the amount of pumps, or better yet with no sugar.

Do. Not. Starve. Yourself. Eat plenty of chicken, rice, beans, salads, nuts, beef, quinoa, veggies, and avoid fatty snacks like potato chips.

Fat loss is about diet above all else, you could lose weight without ever working out (but it's waaaay faster AND healthier to get strong while losing weight + you can eat more because you're burning more calories)

For workouts start simple. Go for a walk 3 times a week. Do unweighted squats. Do push-up progressions (look em up and start at whatever you can do 3-5 sets of 7-12 reps, experiment to see what ranges work for you). Walk up stairs (take the elevator down to save your joints if available). Basically anything that gets your heart rate up.

Also go to a doc about your back, it's never too late to get it checked out.

@metalburner Back injuries can be awful but it’s great to see that you are getting started and prioritizing your health. I would recommend getting a gym memebership if you are able since this will help you have access to better equipment and a community that can support you. It does require a lot of discipline and it was hard for me to get into this routine, but the best progress I made came from doing fasted cardio in the morning and returning to the gym in the evening for resistance training. I recommend stairmaster or another piece of cardio equipment in the morning before breakfast and coffee. This will help you start your day with energy and will burn a lot of calories in the process. After this cardio session it’s important to hydrate and get some protein in. As for the resistance training, a push pull leg routine is my personal preference, three days in the working out per week to start. From there it give you lots of room to work up and continue your progress. Remember you don’t have to overdo it at the start. I’ve seen many people push themselves too hard at the start then give up because it is too difficult to maintain. Ease yourself in and showing up is always a win! The other advice I’ve seen is great and nutrition is a big factor. Try to prioritize protein in your diet and stay hydrated. Another piece of advice is use the sauna if you have access to one. Heat exposure burns calories and is great for cardiovascular health. 20 minutes in the sauna whenever you go to the gym will be an enjoyable way to relax after your workout and it has many great benefits for you. Also try a bit of abdominal and lower back exercise if you are able since this will help stabilize and protect your back against further injury.

I hope you reach your goals and recover from your injury. Good luck and congratulations on starting your journey! Your future self will thank you!

Back