Need help deciding between t-bar row (v-grip), close grip barbell row, or smith machine close grip barbell row for lats

blondie977

Hi! I need help choosing between one of the three listed exercises above for lats. Ideally, I want my lower back to be less of a limiting factor since I do RDLs last on the same pull day. I chose close grip for targeting the lats and added the smith machine variant because I am wondering if that reduces load on the lower back compared to the barbell version.

tI; dr From your experience, which one of these these three exercises have the best stimulus to fatigue ratio for lats?

@blondie977 All of these are going to tax the lower back to a similar degree.

If you’re worried about lower back fatigue, choose a chest supported or hand-supported row variation for the pull day that includes RDL, and (assuming you hit back twice a week) put one of these rows on the other pull day.

@kvolm The reason I do not do chest supported row is because I find it puts a lot of pressure on my ribcage and makes it hard to breathe when going very heavy. If back fatigue was not a limiting factor, which would you consider for lats?

@blondie977 Personally of these three I prefer T-bar row, but this is an individual choice. They’ll all accomplish your goal, play around with each and figure out which one you jive with most.

@blondie977 I can think of three variations that aren’t too tough on the lower back but aren’t chest supported. The least fatiguing would be a standard db row, using one hand to support yourself and keeping the elbow tight when you pull. Another variation would be a meadows row. You could also try a cable row keeping elbows tight to your body.

If you’re okay with doing something that isn’t a row, maybe a lat pulldown?

@mrskatmus I have lat pulldowns in my routine currently. From the suggestions, I’m going to try one arm db row and 1 arm tbar row. Meadows row are more for upper back due to the flared elbow position.

@blondie977 If you pull more to your hip, keep your elbow tucked, and adjust your position relative to the bar, you can get a wicked lat stimulus from meadows rows.

@blondie977 Watch the Meadows video on Meadows rows. He explains how you can adjust your feet position to make it more upper back (less distance from your grip hand) or more lats (further away from your grip hand). Like DB rows, and most back exercises, it's pretty versatile.

@blondie977 What about a seated cable row? All the ones where you are bent over will tax your lower back. This one may not completely fry it if you don't swing the torso too much.

@blondie977 You don't have to do a chest-supported row. If you do a cable row, you won't need to bend over because gravity is no longer a factor -- cables provide tension throughout the entire range of motion. You're also seated which provides further stability.

@blondie977 I do Tbar with my legs positioned so they're taking like 25% of the pressure that'd otherwise be going on my ribcage. Play around with your leg position & see if you can work something out.

@blondie977 there shouldnt be pressure on your rib cage, most likely you are sitting way too high. it is CHEST supported so make sure that the pad on the machine is on your chest.

@kvolm Curious, would the Smith machine row be at least slightly less taxing on the lower back than barbell rows? Especially if you set the bar to rest on the stopper at the bottom.

@kvolm Hey just wanted to follow up with you on this because you are always giving great answers to most of my questions. I'm not trying to be optimal or anything, but was curious how do Landmine T-bar Rows (Arnold-style no chest support) compare to traditional Barbell Rows? If you were to use the same weight, wouldn't the lower back support the same amount?

@kvolm When you say hand-supported row here, do you mean something like Meadows Row or 1-arm DB row where you row with one hand and the other hand is on your thigh or bench?

@blondie977 i would say tbh that one arm dumbbell rows would be less erector fatigue

that being said if you do RDLs first i dont see a world where erectors truly limit you on a row versus the rest of your back

otherwise try them all and no harm in going by feel since mechanically they should be similar

Back