Need Help w/ One Arm Chin Training

oort7

I am stuck and at a loss of ideas on how to move forward.

I weigh about 180lbs. Using about +25% BW I can do 5x5 (Shoulder Width, Overhand) - tried going for 4x6 but got 5 and 4 on the last two sets. I recently hit 6x3 with the same weight using a Close grip. If I perform Underhand Close grip I can almost hit 3x8 with the same weight. I've also done 6x3/arm with the same weight using an "Uneven" grip.
For max weight, I can do 3x2 using about +50% BW with an Underhand grip and hands a few inches apart.

It took me roughly a year to work up to this level with a twice a week training session.

BW wise, I can do 15 pullups in a set (Shoulder Width, Overhand grip) and 20 chinups in a set (Underhand, Close grip). I have experimented with many different types of assisted one arm chinups. Band/Towel assisted (off hand holding lower to the point where at the end of the pull I'm essentially pushing down with my off hand). Uneven (to the point where my off hand is above my pulling hand's elbow). I've tried holding the doorframe with my off hand at head and shoulder height level.

At one point I could jump to the top of the bar using an Underhand grip, let go and come down a few inches before pulling back up. Can't seem to do that now for some reason... I've also tried slow half and full one arm negatives using Underhand grip.

How can I move forward to actually get a one arm chinup???

@oort7 I would try using Mixed Grip Chin-Ups with this form here. What that will do is allow you to use the maximal level of intensity you're capable of at each point. For example:

At one point I could jump to the top of the bar using an Underhand grip, let go and come down a few inches

The Mixed Grip Chin will let you perform those few inches without assistance and then add assistance back when needed! By doing that, you'll ensure you don't take steps BACKWARD in strength! :D

@oort7 You should progress further on weighted first. The range required is typically +70-85% bodyweight 1RM.

I did my first one arm at around your weight and when I started specific one arm training I could do a pull up with +65kg or so.

No harm to start some one arm variations but you will need more strength to achieve a one arm.

@oort7 For your strength sessions I would consider reducing from 55 to 44 / 4*3 or so. I made my best progress with triples and sometimes doubles. However if your strength is increasing on your current program then stick with it.

If you hit a plateau you can reduce the volume of the heaviest sets more to keep progressing, 3*3 is still fine as long as you get enough volume throughout the week or from back off sets after your heavy ones.

@oort7 Congratulations on your progress so far! Stick with it, and remember that it takes a while to achieve this.

I would recommend adding in more explosive work, maybe as a part of a 3rd workout of the week. Something like 4 sets of 3 chinups as explosive as possible. Everything you're doing seems good, including hitting a variety of rep ranges. Also if you're switching between overhand and underhand, I'd recommend trying neutral grip pullups too if you can.

Don't neglect "auxiliary work" such as one arm hangs (30 seconds as a goal) and scapular retraction. A little work will go a long way. You might also benefit from playing around with different muscle activations to see where your strength comes from in different positions. This would be a longer term thing. For instance, you might find that you need to remember to engage more of your back in the top quarter of the one arm.

@hopelessnick Thank you. I could try Neutral grip, only I don't have a way to do it without using the same bar like in commando pullups. One arm dead and flex hangs I have tried, I've even tried 90 degree flex hangs although those are much more difficult to get past even 10 seconds.

@hopelessnick I second that with the "auxiliary work".

I've never had the full OAC, only some reps of 10-15s eccentrics. All I can say is, that you shouldn't underestimate the technique. Therefore, OAC eccentrics on rings can be quite nice, as well as mantle chin-up's. But please be cautious, the risk of injury in OAC training is much higher than usual.

Technique wise: When pulling (e.g. the mantle chin-up) think of bringing the elbow of your OAC arm towards the opposite pelvic bone (the one that sticks out a bit next to your genitals). This helped me quite a lot. So it is not just a vertical pulling motion, but also a diagonal one involved.

@oort7 Hey man! I'm also on the journey to gaining my One Arm Chin Up! You have some amazing progress already!

Personally, I like training on rings, as the rotation is more forgiving for my shoulders, and I can use more muscles to get up. I also use an accommodating resistance method, where I assist ONLY when needed, and grind out the entire rep, making it as difficult as possible at ALL points of the movement.

I would stick to assisted one arm variations, as the OAC requires A LOT of recovery for the body (not just the muscles). Have you ever tried weighted one arm eccentrics??