Need help with upper lower split

edgar77

Need help with upper lower split

Hey everyone I’m currently 260 pounds down from 285. In 6’1 24 years old.

Here’s my issue. I’m currently using the Hevy app and using the standard upper lower split they have on there. I go to the gym 4x a week and I’m currently trying to build muscle while losing weight while IF and being on a calorie deficit.

I’m trying to find more i guess you can say or different upper lower workout routines. Kind of getting bored of mine and Hevy doesn’t really let you explore other peoples workouts. All suggestions welcomed EXCEPT pull-ups 😂i can’t do them to save my life. I’ll post links of what my current workouts are. Thanks in advance everyone!

Upper 1
https://hevy.com/routine/nK3FpPIWOUT

Lower 1
https://hevy.com/routine/1SsZJyD23cg

Upper 2
Check out my workout on Hevy! https://hevy.com/workout/kLw08Nyrwhn

Lower 2
Check out my workout on Hevy! https://hevy.com/workout/nMJMf00Q7CO

@edgar77 Maybe use an app like Boostcamp that has various programs you can explore.

Main thing is to stick to a program for a couple months so you can track progress. I like Boostcamp but there’s various fitness apps you can use

@edgar77 Both your upper and lower 2 days are not there btw.

With just being able to view your 1st 2 days, the workouts really don’t look too bad. There are no glaring issues at least.

A few things that come to mind:
  1. Losing weight while IF is likely not going to lead to much (if any) muscle gain. For a completely new gym goer, they will probably be able to make a little bit of progress in a deficit, but after that beginning time period is over a deficit will not result in many gains. This is ok though! Continuing to lift and push yourself in the gym will allow you to retain that muscle and when you have lost the weight, you will be prepared to reverse into a building phase.
  2. I would look into using an already established program until you learn a little more about programming and gain a little more experience. When you do, you can try forming your own program off of what works for you individually. The https://thefitness.wiki/routines/ has a lot of great options. You can find 3,4,5, or 6 day routines.
  3. Regarding pull-ups, I can personally say that they have been a primary factor in my back development. If you don’t do them, that’s perfectly ok. There are variations you can choose to work your way up to them. Negatives and band-assisted are both great options to build up the strength to an actual pull-up. I highly suggest giving them a try.

@sisi Oops, that’s my fault i edited those last two days to a push pull routine last minute that i found online. This is awesome information thank you so much.

So going back to the whole listing weight whole IF and being in a deficit, what do you mean it won’t lead to much muscle gain? When would i know the period of losing weight is over so i can start building muscle? Thanks!

Edit: I’ve fixed the last two links.

@edgar77 The only time you will ever be able to gain a noticeable amount of muscle while training in a deficit occurs during two circumstances. Either you are a completely new lifter or you have taken a good amount of time off of the gym and you are just coming back.

Without getting into too scientific of an explanation, muscle protein synthesis requires three main components (nitrogen, water, and energy). The main component you want to look at here is energy. That is essentially what calories are. If you are in a deficit, your body is already using up your caloric intake for everyday function, and is also using your own stores (hence why you will lose weight).

An incredibly overweight individual may be able to make slight progress, as they will have enough energy stores for their body to use to build a small amount of muscle. But for this to work, the deficit would have to be much smaller (aka take more time) and the leaner the individual got, the less likely they would be to make any gains. You are currently in the state of being able to make a small amount of muscle gain, but it will not be a large amount.

Only you can decide when you have lost enough weight to be satisfied with. My original comment was implying that once you are satisfied with your weight loss, you can slowly ramp up your calories to enter a gaining phase if you want to put on more muscle.

@sisi I see that makes lot more sense. So my question is , (only had 1 lifting experience in weight lifting back in high school) isn’t cutting like being in a deficit? If so how are people cutting and putting on muscle? I may be looking at it completely wrong so i apologize if it sounds stupid lol. Last question is once I’m happy with whatever weight I’m at i would need to intake more calories while lifting to gain muscle?

@edgar77 When people cut, they do not put on a substantial amount of muscle. What normally happens is that they will APPEAR bigger because of the fat loss. More muscle definition can be incredibly deceiving.

When you are finished cutting, you have a few options. You could up your calories to maintenance and maintain your weight. You can make small gains doing this, but your progress will be incredibly limited. This is a good option if your are satisfied with your physique/strength and just want to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Your second option is to transition into a bulk. It doesn’t have to be anything crazy. A simple 300-500 kcal surplus while pushing yourself hard in the gym can lead to some amazing gains. This would be a good option if you are not satisfied with your muscle mass.

For now, it is best to just focus on your current goal and not overcomplicate things. Eat in a deficit, lift weights utilizing a proper program, do some cardio for health, and lose the weight. When you have lost the weight, you can start worrying about what you are going to do next.

@edgar77 No problem dude. Just remember one thing. Consistency is key! Instill sustainable habits now so that you can keep the weight off. Don’t miss too many gym sessions and hold yourself accountable. It’s ok to have a few rough days. Just hop right back on the wagon. If you stay at it, you’ll make amazing changes.

Back