Need help with Workout routine

joann100

Sorry if formatting looks weird

Started strength training around 5 months ago but was a bit irregular due to other priorities. I've shed a bit of fat and have put on some muscle. I'm happy with my progress so far, but I'm unsure if the way I've been structuring my workouts is optimal. Now have time to concentrate on this so want to do things properly.

PUSH

Bench press 4 x 12

DB flat flies 4 x 12

Incline bench press 3 x 10 (discomfort in shoulder)

Cable crossover 4 x 12 (whatever variation I feel like)

Machine flies 4 x 12

DB lateral raise 4 x 15

Shoulder press 3 x 12

Skull crushers 3 x 12

Cable pushdown 3 x 12

PULL

Lat pulldowns 4 x 12

Reverse grip lat pulldowns 4 x 12

Seated cable row 4 x 12

Bent over DB row 3 x 12

Hyperextension (sometimes)

Barbell curls 4 x 12

Hammer curls 3 x 12

Z-bar Preacher curls 4 x 12

LEGS

4 sets of everything (reps vary from 15-8 based on weight)

Body weight squats for warmup (60-80 reps total)

Barbell squats

Leg extension

Hamstring curls

Walking lunges (skip it sometimes)

Leg press

Calf raise (skip if exhausted)

For most of the exercises I start with a light weight warmup set and progressively overload by increasing weight.

If I'm unable to complete reps I do the next set with same weight (happens for incline bench press and bicep curls mostly, also bench press at times).

For lat pulldowns as I increase weight I start to feel the strain in my arms and joints more than the back. Feel like I have progressed very little since I started.

How do I lift heavier, feel like I'm starting to stagnate.

Confused about the ideal number of sets, reps, rest time between sets, number of variations, etc. Please help.

@olcote Pretty much, I used to go 3-5 days per week. Sometimes I'll do push pull then 2 take two days off coz of work and then do legs when I go the next time.

It was pretty inconsistent but always maintained the order. Planning on hitting the gym 5-6 days a week now, so looking to make a proper workout regimen.

@joann100 I like your exercises selection. I'd suggest doing PPL and then upper lower. Mix Back and chest on upper day.

I think if you do repeat this in the same week it could be too much volume especially for upper body.

@olcote Got it, makes sense. Thanks!

Any suggestions to progress to heavier weights? Is it okay to do 3 proper sets and try heavy on the last set (like 3 rep max) I've tried this before and sometimes end up straining myself which impacts the rest of the exercises for the day. Is there a better way to go about doing this?

@joann100 i would try heavy in the penultimate set which would be 3rd for you. Also i feel 4 exercises for isolation exercises could be little too much. 3 is a good set number

@joann100 You have a lot of junk volume. Taking a look at the Push routine
You perform bench press, flies and then you get to cable flies with different variations. Let's assume you set the cable on middle height and are going for middle pec.
This makes it 3 exercises solely for Middle Pectoralis Major or simply middle chest which turns out to be 12 sets solely for middle chest!
That's almost the number of sets I perform for pec muscles.
Don't worry though since these are beginner mistakes and I have made these mistakes too. Since you are following PPL routine, I'd recommend taking a look at what's famously called as Reddit PPL. Here's the link Go through it and try it out.