Need new routine

needmyangel

53 years old. Did CrossFit workouts ( owner was adamant it wasn’t CrossFit. Lots of strength based functional movement). For 4 years. Really liked it, saw the results I was after and was happy. One year ago moved to a different city. Joined a traditional CrossFit box. Did not care for it at all for a variety of reasons. Considered trying a different box in town but I don’t think Cross Fit is for me anymore, if it ever really was. Tried to workout in gym using apps.Apparently i need the group thing to stay motivated.

Been noticing a bit of fluff so I need to start something. Wife does f45 and likes it, my coworkers do OTF and rave. I used to do yoga 4-5 times a week and liked it. Looking for thoughts and feedback or ideas or experiences from people who have had similar experiences.

@needmyangel Hire a Certified Personal Trainer and Certified Nutrition Coach for help. We can set you up with workout programs and help you with nutrition guidance to lose the fluff and build strength and lean out. Find an independent contractor or an online coach - which generally is a good value, especially since it seems like you would know the exercises already. Unless you have a home gym, finding a decent gym in your area would be advisable. Some big box gyms offer training packages and they have their place, but can be quite expensive in the long term. A CPT will tailor programs based on your current fitness level, your goals and likes/dislikes. The value in hiring a CPT is immense because we design the programs for the client and work with them one-on-one, where places like CrossFit gyms have 20 people doing the same thing…and how can one person what the form of 20 people at once?

@needmyangel I suggest spending money on one-on-one in-person training and doing a straightforward (barbell-based) strength/powerbuilding program. You continue to gain strength and muscle while minimizing the risk of injury. The class setting of CrossFit and OrangeTheory is not ideal for individualization of the program plus some nutty exercises which don't have much purpose other than inducing injury.

Back