New Program, Shift in Focus

siphosethu

I started the Reddit PPL 4 weeks ago after over a year of doing what the personal trainer gave me last summer. A few months before starting the PPL I started building up to the big compound lifts and once I could do all of them with the barbell I decided it was time. Here are some thoughts and realizations I've made:

The pt program was pretty junky, but it got me over the general intimidation I'd always had over free weights. I did build some muscle but definitely stalled out after a year in that program. So on one hand, it was really overpriced, but it got me started on something I'm obviously committed to.

After a few workouts on the PPL I definitely feel very well worked out/ pumped by the end of each one. I was a little shocked the first time it happened, I felt great, like REALLY great.

I'm breaking my trend of always operating on a calorie deficit. As a woman of a certain age (49) it's been pounded in my head that weight on the scale is the most important thing. With the new program I was getting really cranky, I now realize I was hungry. I think I'm burning more now on a proper program and needed to up my intake. I estimate I'm eating at a small surplus (time will tell). I really want to build more muscle.

My squats suck. My form is O.K. but I'm only at 70 lbs, so plenty room to improve I guess.

I plan on sharing my befores and afters once I've dome the 12 weeks as well as what else I've learned along the way. It is only 3 months, so I might just start over and see what 6 months bring. After that I'm looking into nSuns or GCZLP-although I'm still mystified as to what accessories I would do. Does anyone have any resources for researching such a thing?

@siphosethu If you’re performing the movements well and pushing yourself adequately, who cares about the numbers you can lift. You’re not powerlifting or doing Strongman

@siphosethu I’m a 67 woman who powerlifts. Do your best to forget that shit about weight on the scale. I was frail and scrawny when I started this, and I realized that if I wanted to be strong I had to eat more. So I do—bigger portions of the healthy food I was already eating, plus way more protein.

I’ve put on some much needed weight to support my workouts (I’m 5’7” and 143 lbs) and my muscles are way denser. I’ve never been this strong in my life—my 1 rep maxes are: 110 lbs for squat, 71 lbs for benchpress, and 173 lbs for deadlift. I want get to 150 for squat, 85 for bench and 200 for deadlift.

I think it’s great that you’ve taken up serious weight training. You’re doing the best thing to keep frailty and osteoporosis at bay, while improving your physique. Keep at it! Best of luck!

Back