No results on calorie deficit / body recomp

daniellemarie17

Hello,I am 29M, 162lbs, 5ft 9. Ectomorph/hardgainer/skinnyfat. I used the TDEE calculator, determined a rough estimate for my RMR & TDEE. Using the Cronometer App to track all foods consumed throughout the day.

I am meeting all of my macros (some days +/-5%). Daily Avg: 1600-1700 calories, P: 150g, C: 120g, F: 70g. TDEE: between 2,000-2,300 per day. With this being said I know I am for sure in a calorie deficit. I don't eat any BS. No added sugars, fried foods, pizza, soda, ice cream, donuts, alcohol, etc... Mainly eggs, chicken, tuna, beef, rice(brown & white), mixed veggies, low fat no sugar yogurt, oatmeal, 2% milk, & protein powder.

I work out 3-4x per week. Chest/Tri/Shoulders, Back & Bi, Legs, then about 30 min cardio (including stretching) post workout. Each gym session is about an hour :30 total.

It has been 2 months and I am still the same weight as when I went on a body recomp after doing a 6 month bulk. Not sure what I am doing wrong. How long did it take for you to see results either on the scale or in the mirror? I appreciate any feedback or questions.

@daniellemarie17 Most days I'm strict on calories, where I'm confident in what I'm consuming, I steadily lose 1lb a week on 1700 calories, but I weigh a bit more. First hunch would be that you're somehow off in your tracking, maybe post your log for a typical day and we can gauge it better.

You're at a weight where 1700 cals may not be a big deficit, depending on your TDEE, and 30mins of cardio doesn't typically amount to much calories burned. How many steps do you get on a typical day? Try taking that average and adding another 1-2 miles of walking but on a daily basis instead of a few times per week.

Reason I say this: I work a sedentary job, even going to the gym, I only get 3k steps on an average day. If I grind out the treadmill to get 10k+ steps my TDEE can go from 1800 being my maintenance to 2100 being my maintenance. It's not much but it can speed up weight loss by another 2.5 lbs a month. There's many ways to be active, but it's up to you to determine if you're moving enough.

@gne5 Appreciate the detailed response. I also work a sedentary job sitting at a desk majority of the day but make a good attempt to get up and move around every now and then. I average about 3K steps per day and probably do need to boost that number up, especially on rest days.
I also sleep 6-8 hours per night as well.

@daniellemarie17 Yeah unfortunately the 2 months of no weight movement is too clear of an indicator that you either need to eat less (1500 calories but hard to recommend) or just adding steps. When my weight plateaus - going lower than 1700 calories just burns me out especially since I still train at the gym so I opt for the treadmill.

The difference between 3k steps and 10k+ steps is more than an hour of walking, so it will definitely make a significant difference in calories burned and it's not all that tiring. I don't recommend it all in one sitting, I get mindlessly bored even watching a show when I have to walk that long. Aim for 10-15mins multiple times, then 30+ mins at morning/night.

@daniellemarie17
  • if you are at the same body weight 6 months later its not a real deficit
  • if you got a shit ton stronger you probably gained some muscle and if you are at the same body weight mathematically theres probably some fat loss