Not getting a routine that works for me

lorna1964

I am 35 (F), vegetarian. I follow Intermittent fasting and I do YOGA every weekday morning. On weekends I try to go on long walks with my toddler. I have a desk job that requires me to sit for 7-8 hours with travel once a week involving constant sitting+driving for 2 hours (to+fro).

I have tried walks, brisk walks, YOGA (from a trainer), SWIMMING (my mid back is still sore from that). All of this at least continuously for 2-3 weeks when I pick them.

I try to eat good protein in form of veg options + protein power supplements.

OK that's about me but nothing seems to work. Every other day I have sore back or neck or shoulders and what not. X-ray reports are fine and Drs just prescribe me 5 days of painkillers and muscle relaxants and after that I am back to same within a week.

Any advice? What am I missing? In spite of putting so much thought and energy, no fitness routine seem to work.

@lorna1964 Go and see a good physio. Your doctor will prescribe drugs, a physio will prescribe exercises.

This is complete speculation but I expect you hunch your shoulders when you sit which a lot of us desk jockeys have a tendency to do. The physio will give you the right exercises to help this.

In terms of an exercise routine, you probably want one with a good emphasis on rows, rear delts and posterior chain, eg kettlebell swings, reverse flys, etc. most good balanced routines will incorporate this.

Give any new routine 6-8 weeks before even considering changing it rather than just 2-3 weeks. I’d prioritise a workout over yoga if you are time limited.

@lorna1964 I'm going to be blunt. I'm guessing that as a female vegetarian your diet probably needs work.

You can train all you want, but if you aren't getting enough protein to allow your body to recover then you are just running yourself into the ground. That would be the first place I started.

I believe the current recommendations are 1g of protein for every pound of body mass. Every day.

Spend some time doing your normal exercises with heightened protein, see if you recover better.

@lorna1964 Stop sitting and get a standing desk

Sitting shortens and weakens hamstrings. Weak hamstrings, weak glutes lead to rounding your back which leads to rounding your neck

Workouts don’t matter if your body is in this state consistently

Prolonged Sitting is one of the worst things you can do to the human body

Check that you’re also getting enough sodium and think about creatine supplements seeing at vegetarians don’t eat red meat and natural creatine comes from red meat.

But my guess is mostly the sitting is wrecking your body

With that said

What’s not working what exactly is your goal ?

Weight loss ?

Gain muscle ?

Get an insta booty ?

Feel better ?

The first two take slightly different approaches

Have you also considered going off the vegetarian diet for a while? Have you had your Iron checked?

If it’s not sitting it’s a recovery issue and what you’re eating just isn’t working