On week 4 of training 3x a week...How long until I see results?

householder29

30 y.o. woman, 5'5" 135 lbs.

I just started training again after having to take a lot of time off for a hip injury. It's been about 3-4 weeks of CONSISTENT kettlebell workouts

I'm training 3x a week, plus walking 3-6 miles a day (3 days when I train, 5-6 when I don't train)

I'm not doing any movements that could re-injure my hip (i.e swings...even squats on a bad day make my hip feel funky) I 'm tending to focus a lot on core/arm exercises when it comes to the bells, and less on legs.

I've never gotten far enough in my training to see any actual results. Every time I start I mess up my hip and have to stop. Trying to focus my training on things I actually can do (plus walking after every session helps re align my hips.)

Anyone have any idea when I'll start seeing some results? Am I not training enough?

@householder29 Body recomp is a slow burn where you truly don’t notice because you see yourself everyday. For me, I notice when I go to wear a shirt I haven’t worn in a while and he shoulders are suddenly too tight or one day when I’m getting ready and I’m on a different hole in the belt.

Or, just see somebody who hasn’t seen you in awhile. They’ll notice.

@householder29 Sorry to hear you’ve been in pain. That’s definitely not fun!

Which lifts bother your hip? Squats, deadlifts, lunges?

Sometimes we have folks squat to a box to limit range of motion. Many people can passively get to a deep squat because a load is pushing them down but they don’t have active control of this range and end up feeling pain afterwards. You can start above parallel and then work lower over time.

Many of our heavy squats with the barbell we do to a 12” box and it’s been working wonders! We’re not competitive powerlifters so we don’t need it to be a certain way to stay consistent and keep building a ton of strength.

The fear of pain is real and you know your body best. But the larger your toolbox is the more you can troubleshoot.

In terms of aesthetics, this is largely nutrition based. A caloric deficit is needed to reduce body composition, so you just need to decide what’s the immediate term goal — improving body composition or getting as strong as possible. It’s up to you!