Online v F2F

lovelywife3

Hi all,

Earlier this week, I enquired about getting a PT. I spoke to two of them, who are quite different, and I have no idea who would be best to go for. They would both be about the same price:

Background
  • I have struggled to put on weight probably 'cos I don't eat enough as well as the fact I don't work out.
  • I work an office job although I will be going away for a whole month in October.
  • Except during my time at school 5 or so years ago, I haven't been to the gym and don't really know what I am doing
PT 1

This would be an online trainer who would provide a training and nutrition plan (not a meal plan). I would have access to the gym near me 24/7 and will be able to use the gym near where I will be staying away

Price: £140 + gym membership (£20) a month

PT 2

Once a week face to face PT sessions, meal plan and some access to the gym throughout the week although this would be extremely limited as they only open at set times. Also, as I will be going away, won't be able to do PT for the whole of October.

Price: £160 per month (no extra charge for gym membership)

Which one would you suggest? Let me know if you have any questions!

@lovelywife3 I would start out by reading the r/fitness wiki, then get that $20 gym membership. You don't need a nutrition plan. It's not complicated. Aim for .8-1g protein per pound of body weight, don't ignore dietary fats, eat your veggies. And since you wanna gain weight, eat more food. If you have trouble with that, calories dense foods are your friend (and check out r/gainit). Going to the gym doesn't actually help you gain weight. That'll help you build muscle and not gain only fat though. But your weight is always a product of calories in vs calories out.

The r/fitness wiki has workout routines. Pick one and then Google each of the exercises. Go to the gym and try em out. Not sure about how you're doing, record yours and post that video to the daily thread on that sub. People will tell you if you need to fix anything.

If after that, you still feel unsure about form, look for a trainer who will just do 1 or 2 sessions with you to fix your form across different exercises. An online trainer feels pretty useless to me. As someone who has a trainer, I like having the instant, physical feedback.

Back