Please reassure me my home gym isn’t dumb

evachristine

For whatever reason, some days I just feel embarrassed to be alive. I think part of it is a bit of social anxiety, but don’t truthfully know.

With this, I feel embarrassed of my home gym. I bought a squat rack and inherited a treadmill from my parents. I have a few weights, a bench, and a resistance band. I do not mention it to anyone. It feels weird, it seems like something most people don’t do. A judgmental coworker once scrunched her nose and said “why don’t you just go to the gym” when I did bring it up. I’ve tried to go the gym, I’m uncomfortable and hate running into people I know (with this being said i’m perfectly fine with yoga classes and like them).

I like my home gym, I feel comfy in it and I’ve definitely made good progress. But I can’t shake feeling like it’s stupid for some reason. My boyfriend lives with me and his friend is coming to stay with us for a few days and I feel a little weird about him seeing it.

I’m just looking for some support or other people who have home gyms I guess so I don’t feel weird for whatever reason!

@bav I have a “Ruth Bader Ginsberg” home gym with a framed gavel and hanging robe. Oh and a pair of ShakeWeights prominently displayed just to troll the haters. We use it mostly for cardio (rowing machine and cycling), with the local Planet Fitness for heavier stuff. It’s perfect for winter when you’re snowed in.

@evachristine I don't think a home gym is dumb. I started buying weights and bands to have at home because I had really bad anxiety about going to the gym. I didn't wanna feel embarrassed about not knowing how to use equipment, having men mansplain, or running into people I knew.

I'm a huge, huge homebody too. I would prefer to be able to workout at home whenever I want rather than dread going outside to go to the gym or having to plan around the gym's hours or traffic. Plus most people think I'm really serious about my fitness once they find out I have a home gym. The only things I wish I had from the gym was a stairmaster or leg press machine, but I can honestly live without them.

Back