[Podcast] How to Change your Body-Fat Setpoint ft. Lyle McDonald

Podcast

One of the industry’s foremost experts on fat-loss, stubborn body-fat and the science of managing your weight, he joins me for an awesome discussion on the topic of body-fat set-points, and how we can potentially change how lean we can comfortably stay year-round.

Time-Stamps:

1:50 - Lyle’s upcoming book on birth control and women’s fat-loss/muscle building

3:35 - How much muscle can we build after 3-5 years of good training (Lyle’s recent debate/discussion on this)

14:10 - Why it often still takes 10+ years to achieve your genetic potential

16:30 - Are you just wasting your time after 10+ years of training? :O

18:25 - What is a body-fat set-point (warning: Lyle goes on a crazy long rant)

42:15 - Can we modify our body-fat setpoint?

57:10 - Strategies that can make it easier to stay leaner

1:03:05 - The most overlooked aspect of staying lean

1:20:44 - Conclusions on modifying our body-fat set-point

1:26:30 - Where you can find Lyle

@seanykins
  • You get close to all of the muscle gains you ever going to get in 3-5 years of consistent training, beyond that you have to continue training super hard to get pretty much unnoticeable muscle. So if you're not a competitor, once you get there you may want to move on to other things, so training and eating at maintenance. This doesn't mean everybody will get to the same level in that time, only that they will be close to their individual potential ceiling, so some people that didn't win the genetic lottery may think that because they didn't developed the physiques they see on social media and such that they still have productive massing time ahead, but they are mistaken, we get what we get.
  • "3-5 years of consistent training" means a cumulative amount of training equivalent of doing things quite well without taking breaks for 3-5 years total. That means that in practice for the average person it's going to take more time than that.
  • What's properly referred to as body fat setpoint is genetic and it's a phenomenon that encompasses the regular physiological causes of how your body manages food and burns calories: hunger and metabolic adaptation (hormonal processes). People who are naturally lean, naturally have less hunger, are full faster and their metabolism rapidly accelerates in the presence of a caloric surplus, naturally burning more calories (in the form of more voluntary and involuntary activity).
  • To achieve a pseudo-setpoint you need to control the environmental influences, meaning taking voluntary steps to control what you eat, and you need to find the way to turn it into a lifestyle because you can never revert to eating the way you did when you had a higher body fat level, or you'll return to it.

@great_depression I somehow missed this one, it was quite good.

warning: Lyle goes on a crazy long rant

And oh boy did he, I had to listen to that part multiple times because I was doing other stuff and just couldn't handle the multitasking, ultimately I had to sit and just listen to it haha.