Posting for accountability - PCOS girly on a fat & weight loss journey

cris321

I’m doing an extended water/caffeine fast right now and posting for accountability for a no of reasons:
1. My immediate environment makes it doubly hard to lose weight so I’m looking for other ways to keep myself on track.
2. What I’m doing won’t apply to ALL PCOS girlies but might help some on the same journey.
3. Questions and advice are welcome!!!

A little bit abt me:
1. Early 30s, F diagnosed with PCOS in 2016
2. Now on day 2 of a 21-day water/caffeine fast
3. SW: 87kg, H: 157cm, Obese class 1. CW: 85kg (day 2, most likely water weight). Highest weight was about 95k to 97kg in November.
4. I have permanently lost 10kg prior this extended fast, due to a combination of short fasting (ex. IF and ADF), keto, low carb, and exercise.

Thoughts:
1. Extended fasts are not for everyone. In the PCOS world, fasting is typically discouraged because it’s stressful to the body (cortisol level rises), but I’m doing this because I’ve noticed significant improvement as a result of previous fasting and lifestyle changes. My skin tags and skin discoloration (dark neck/nape) — signs of insulin resistance — have reduced greatly. But do consult your doctor if you plan to do what I do.
2. When not fasting, I observe a typically low carb diet (no sugar, bread, rice, pasta) but have a few “cheat” meals. When not cheating, my carb sources are primarily high fiber, low glycemic veggies like lettuce, cabbage, onions, cucumbers.
3. I broke my last fast (66 hrs) because I couldn’t conquer my mind. I was physically fine — not dehydrated, not nauseous. But scrolling through soc med and finding food posts wrecked my resolve. In a way, extended fasting is also about developing mental strength as it is becoming physically healthier.
4. Not all types of hunger are real. Sometimes, it’s actually thirst.
5. I have been extremely frustrated with my own ob-gyn’s generic advice to go on a birth control pill and reduce caloric intake. I didn’t find that helpful at all. Metformin also made me gassy and nauseous. So I’m also trying other things such as berberine, inositol, and L carnitine to aid my weight / fat loss journey. I will still advocate for you to seek medical guidance, but sometimes it’s hard to receive generic advice when you know that PCOS symptoms aren’t universal hence treatment can never be a one size fits all approach.
6. I love HIIT but don’t do it as much as I used to because it raises cortisol. I’ve found long walls, mid intensity cardio, and resistance training to be helpful in weight loss. They’re also more sustainable during an extended fast.
7. The number on the scale isn’t everything but it sure is motivating! At the end of the day, how strong or how good I feel and look matter more. But weighing myself definitely helps!

I’ll do a daily check-in here to monitor progress.

Also looking for any PCOS accountability groups for girls on a similar path!

DAY 3, Feb 16, 11:14PM: 83.1 kg
- Headache at 8am. Most likely low electrolytes but also because my work schedule is out of whack. Took a biogesic. Will buy electrolytes tomorrow.
- Pooped liquid at 3pm, 8pm, 11pm.
- No hunger. Just stomach growling. I surpassed my last extended fast (66 hrs!). Not weak, just meh.
- Feels like my collarbone is coming through.
- Worked all day at home. Back to back meetings.

DAY 2, Feb 15, at time of parent post: 85 kg

@cris321 nothing but support for you!!! i also have pcos (diagnosed early 2021), and had a slow but steady weight loss journey since then. super amazed that you can do extended fasting, as that was the first thing i tried but ultimately could not stick to it due to my appetite (and me binging after every fast lol).

ymmv, but taking mypcos (myo-inositol) only really helped me with getting my period on track, and sadly nothing else. took no other supplements/bcs or undergo other treatments.

good luck po!

@cris321 Good luck sis! Rooting for you. I’m slowly starting with my fitness regimen din but I still have consultation with endo this week. Ang galing mo sa extended fasting!

Back