Program feedback

vindecareaom

Hi all, I want to hear what you guys think of my routine. I am mixing calisthenics and weightlifting. My main goals for calisthenics are 10 chest to bar pullups, OAC and muscleups, everything else is for structural balance mostly. Then I have oly goals like 80kg snatch and 100kg CnJ. The program is an upper/lower split, since I enjoy it more than full body.

Upper1 (Sunday):
1. 3 Paired set of 3 reps of banded waist to bar pullups + 3 reps of OA clean and jerk each side; 90s rest between sets
2. 3 paired sets of 3-8 reps of chest to bar negative pull ups + 3-8 reps of negative R dips
3. 3 paired sets of 5-15 reps R dips + 5-15 reps pushups + 5 reps maximum hanging leg raises; 50s rest between sets

Lower1 (Monday):
1. 3 Paired set of 3 reps of Snatch + 3 reps of depth jumps; 90s rest between sets
2. 3 paired sets of 3-5 reps of negative pistol squats + 3-5 reps of banded nordic curls
3. 3 paired sets of 5 reps Jefferson curl + 5 reps banded reverse nordic curls + 5 reps off barbel side raises; 50 s between reps

Upper1 (Wednesday):
1. 3 Paired set of 3 reps of explosive pushups + 3 reps of OA snatch each side; 90s rest between sets
2. 3 paired sets of 3-8 reps of 5 m rope climb + 3-8 reps of full range pike pushups
3. 3 paired sets of 5-15 reps R dips + 5-15 reps pushups + 5 reps negative dragon flag; 50s rest between sets

Lower2 (Friday):
1. 3 Paired set of 3 reps of clean and jerk + 3 reps of depth jumps; 90s rest between sets
2. 3 paired sets of 3-5 reps of Steinborn squats + 3-5 reps of SL RDL
3. 3 paired sets of 5 reps Jefferson deadlift + 3-5 reps of sissy squat + 5 reps of back hyperextension; 50 s between reps

@vindecareaom hmmm if you can do negative dragon flags maybe also try toe to bar raises or negative toe to bar raises

and swap pushups for something like archer/pseudo planche pushups since they are probably too easy for you

and if you can do banded waist and negative waist to bar pullups, you can also at least do a few regular chin above the bar pullups/chinups or neutral grip pullups. you should do a variety of all 3 to work the biceps and brachioradialis etc

@vindecareaom Hmmm maybe also try weighted pullups if you can

if you dont have a weight belt/vest, either buy it or use dumbells or a backpack

thatll increase your explosiveness and make high pullups way easier and youll get the muscle up in no time

also maybe try muscle up negatives? and also straight bar dips

@vindecareaom I think you have some nice goals here! I see a little room for even more gains though! :D

I'd swap the Waist to Bar Pull-Ups with Mixed Grip Chin-Ups. That will let you work towards the One Arm Chin-Up AND it will let you gain the explosive strength you need for the Muscle Up. Then you gain on TWO movements for the price of one.

On the Upper 1, I'd swap out the Ring Dip Negatives and Chest to Bar Pull-Ups with some sort of Pike Pushup and Row. Again, wider range of gains. :D

@vindecareaom I'd be happy to.

Explosive strength can be increased simply by getting stronger to an extent.

It's kind of like trying to explode during a Back Squat with 135lbs/60kg. If 135lbs/60kg is your MAX, you won't be able to explode very much because it's maximal. But if you INCREASE your max to 315lbs/143kg, you will be able to explode MUCH easier with 135/60 because you are so much stronger.

Similarly, if you increase your Pull-Up strength towards One Arm Chin-Ups, normal Pull-Ups will feel so easy that you will do one and feel like you are able to fly off the bar! 😂

@jermyn Never thought about it this way, but it makes sense. Power is force times acceleration, so if you increase the force (stremght) component, you will increase power. Thanks a lot for making it obvious ;)

@jermyn Hey man, watched your video on mixed grip chinups and tried them out. These seem pretty hard if done according your instructions. What rep and set range do you propose on those?

Back