pull-up advice

jdsenn

hey y’all, I jus started working out around 7 weeks ago doing push-ups and planks. couple weeks ago I moved onto a 40lb bucket with rocks in it for curls etc but was wondering WTF is the deal with pull-ups.

for the last 2 weeks I haven’t been able to do even 1/4th of one pull-up but woke up this morning and done 3 with ease, now I can barely do 1 without my forearms feeling like a hot knife got stabbed through them lol..

I’m so excited that I can now do pull-ups but how is this so? I’m 6’2 155-160LBS and never left my room until a couple months ago. I see many ppl training months on end and I can’t help but to believe it has something to do with consistency, the last few days I’ve really been overloading my body with multiple different exercises till failure

@jdsenn Pull-ups is the one exercise where you lift your entire body weight. Pushups and dips are not your entire body weight. But pull-ups are. So they will always be the hardest

@peterblom30 I was mostly joking, but the more I think about it...

Of course you have to support all your weight with your wrists, so I agree with you on that. But i think the actual weight your chest/triceps is moving wouldn't include your forearms.

I would still say dips move your whole bodyweight though, because thay argument is splitting hairs.

@kyrani Regardless of whether it's true or not, referring to a 20 second YouTube short that doesn't even include measurements as "actual science" is a lot funnier than my comment.

@yhjmkiop I see. So an entire demonstration of how and why you are not lifting your entire body weight in a dip isn’t enough for a supposed thinking logical minded creature? I understand

@yhjmkiop It’s ok to admit when you’re wrong. I do it all the time. That’s how we grow and learn.

It is a proven science that you don’t lift 100% of your body weight with a dip. Just drop the ego. Stop trying to argue with me and be funny and you can learn. 👍

@kyrani I'm not trying to be funny. I'm trying to convey to you that I'll gladly admit I'm wrong when shown proof (including measurements). What you showed me instead was a video of a guy claimining you don't lift your forearms in a dip, which is true but neglects the fact that your forearms lie on the bars in a dip, adding to the weight you are pushing, and a Reddit discussion on pull ups that doesn't get to a clear result and mainly consists of one guy claiming stuff and others disagreeing.

That's not science, is all I'm saying. Show me the measurements and I'll admit if I'm proven wrong.

@jdsenn How old are you?

Progress and recovery are faster when you're younger, so you can push yourself harder. Also, weight plays a big factor, you don't weigh a ton. Also some people just progress at different paces, it happens. It's not always that people aren't being consistent, some people just require more work. Someone can work just as hard in the gym as a professional athlete, that doesn't mean they are going to be a professional athlete, ya know?