Push Pull Routine - Feedback

eliashaile

I started working out only 18 weeks ago and did 5 weeks of random stuff based off an old bro split we did ten years ago (I only lasted 7 months then, so very much started from scratch again), just "proving to myself I can show up" and now I am close to completing my second cycle of 7 weeks followed by a deload week.

I can only train Monday to Thursday, so I can't really do a 4 day full body routine (most beginner routines seem to focus on full body). So despite all advice to use a tried and true routine, I felt the need to make my own 4 day on, 3 day off, push pull split, since I couldn't really find a beginner one that can accommodate my schedule.

The Hevy app's PushPull came closest so I used that as a starting point. I still use the app to track my progress, but the routine itself is probably barely recognizable at this point. But credit where it's due, they got me started.

This has worked reasonably well so far, starting out with 6 exercises a day, second cycle 7 and for my third cycle I now have 8 lined up (see below). I am starting to get a little worried about excessive volume at this point.

The Program:

The general idea of the program is just overall hypertrophy gains, hence the rep ranges, with a little extra focus on improving my bench press (for reps, not 1RM) and working my way up to real pullups. Hence why they come first always.

Monday Pull
  1. Assisted Pull Up - Wide Pronated Grip - 4x8+AMRAP
  2. Bent Over BB Row - Narrow Grip To Belly - 4x8+AMRAP
  3. Seated Row Machine - Wide Grip - 4x8-12
  4. Lat Pulldown - V grip - 4x8-12
  5. Seated Leg Curl - 4x8-12
  6. DB Hammer Curl - 4x8-12
  7. DB Bicep Curl - 4x8-12
  8. Hanging Knee Raises - 4x8-12
Tuesday Push
  1. Incline BB Bench Press - 4x8+AMRAP
  2. Overhead BB Press - 4x8+AMRAP
  3. Leg Press - 4x8-12
  4. DB Bench Press - 4x8-12
  5. Machine Chest Fly - 4x8-12
  6. Unilateral Cable Lateral Raises - 4x8-12
  7. Tricep Pushdown - 4x8-12
  8. Assisted Dips - 4x8-12
Wednesday Pull
  1. Assisted Pull Up - Narrow Supinated Grip - 4x8+AMRAP
  2. Romanian Deadlifts - 4x8+AMRAP
  3. Bent Over BB Row - Wide Grip to Sternum - 4x8+AMRAP
  4. Seated Row Machine - Narrow Grip - 4x8-12
  5. Reverse Fly Machine - 4x8-12
  6. Cable Bicep Curl - 4x8-12
  7. Cable Hammer Curl - 4x8-12
  8. Crunch Machine - 4x8-12
Thursday Push
  1. Flat BB Bench Press - 4x8+AMRAP
  2. High Bar Squats - 4x8+AMRAP
  3. Incline DB Bench Press - 4x8-12
  4. DB Chest Fly - 4x8-12
  5. Seated DB Shoulder Press - 4x8-12
  6. Seated DB Lateral Raise - 4x8-12
  7. Unilateral DB Tricep Kickback - 4x8-12
  8. Calf Press - 4x8-12
Progression

My main lifts for the day are 4x8+AMRAP. I do three sets of exactly 8 and the last set to failure. If I hit 12, I bump the weight, if I hit significantly more than 12, I use it to recalibrate to approx 70% of my 1RM but this almost never happens.

The accessory work is 4 sets of 8-12 and I move up the weight only when I reach 12 on each set. This gives me enough time with each weight to not neglect my technique which is still a work in progress.

If I can't progress in weight, I try to do some more reps than the week before. For the main lifts, I only do this in the AMRAP set, the other three I stick with 8 reps.

I deload every 8th week. I know beginners aren't supposed to, but it helps me tremendously with little aches that accumulate sometimes, since our rest days are kind of suboptimal. I only make minor modifications after each cycle. Main lifts stay the same but I might modify the accessory work a bit, though never a complete overhaul.

Some things I am wondering about, but honestly any feedback is welcome.
  1. Thoughts on varying the grip between the two back days? Same for alternating implements, like BB, DB, Cable,... Keeps things fun for me but maybe too much variation for a beginner?
  2. Thoughts on making legs accessory for first part of the week, and only main for the second part?
  3. Volume. Is this too much for a beginner? I do have 3 days of rest after, but none in between.
  4. Reps and Sets are pretty static. Should there be more variety between exercises? I don't quite know how to calibrate them. E.g. I see a lot of people doing more reps on ab work or ham curls, and many beginner programs only do sets of 5 or even less on main lifts.