Questions about finding the right gym? (Esporta?)

I quit planet fitness because the machines were usually broken, it was crowded, a 30-35 minute drive for me and because of X, Y and Z I never felt motivated to go. So I cancelled my membership - invested in new resistance bands (they are nice I love them) a kettle bell and a slam ball (which I can’t use in my house because - earthquake - now I may return it possibly for the time being?)

I’ve been working out strength training wise at home but on my off days do not get my steps in

I miss the gym environment and have been debating joining Esporta (formerly LA Fitness) it seems more affordable, is only about 25 minutes from me (18/20 if I take the highway) is closer to my grocery store so I can run errands after if I need to and they have free weights. I’m terrified of lifting in the gym but it’s what I want to do - I’ve relied on cardio for forever and saw v little results.

Has anyone been to Esporta? How did y’all like it? Any hidden fees?

@ffyddgobaithcariad I have had an LA/Esporta membership for about five years now. I have the type that allows me to access any club, and so I’ve gone to quite a few of their locations. Honestly, the clubs vary greatly in terms of equipment and crowd, so I would take a tour of the specific one you would be going to.

For example, the one near my college has a lot of broken/scheduled for maintenance equipment, but they have machines that can be adjusted to my height. The gym near my home has newer equipment, but a lot of it is made for taller people, so I have trouble using it. My favorite was the one in Secaucus; it had so much fancy equipment like lifting platforms and bumper plates.

Back