Questions about getting into kettlebells

garethmcv

Been powerlifting for a while now, and I’m looking to switch to home workouts. Unfortunately my gym moved and there’s nothing good around me for alternatives. I’m looking into getting 2-40lbs, and 1-80lb kettlebells. Any suggestions on weight recommendations, or things that are necessities when doing kb workouts. Obviously chalk, and some mats for the floor are needed, but any other suggestions.

Currently at 2/3/4 plates for bench, squat, and dl. Not sure if these weights are too much or not enough (I know that’s subjective to me). Looking to increase my mobility, and all the other benefits that come with kbs. Also I’m thinking rogue, E-coat. The prices are better compared to kettlekings. I would prefer more texture on my grip and I’ve heard these are good (plus made in the USA).

Thanks y’all!

@garethmcv As someone who came from powerlifting originally to almost exclusively kettlebells, I found the transition to be fun and pretty humbling. Your strength obviously transfers but KBs make you work much harder in weird and isolateral planes of motion. You can also get a LOT more done with much less weight.

If your SBD is 315/225/405 then a 16 kg bell will likely feel pretty light. Get one anyways to learn the movements. Then get a 24 KG which will very quickly be your working bell and a 32 KG which will likely be difficult. If you can press a 32 with somewhat ease work up to the big boy bells like a 40KG and eventually a 48 KG (which people call the beast).

Movements to prioritize are the 2 handed and 1 handed swing, Turkish getup, clean, press, clean and press, and eventually the snatch. KBs are also great for rows and all kinds of carries (especially overhead carries/waiters walks).

If you get the 3 sizes of bell I mentioned first, a pull-up bar, and some sort of mat to protect your flooring, you have an entire gym at your disposal. Adding gymnastics rings for dips adds even more to the whole setup.

@pstevens Awesome advice! That sounds like a good group of weights to use. I wasn’t sure about the selections to go with and this really helped. I’m thinking a 50lb, and an 80lber (for squats and rdls) now that I’ve read this. Should be perfect weights. Thanks again

@garethmcv Just a heads up KB kings prices include shipping and you get discounts for multiple bells. Your best bet is to put what you want in your cart on both sites and see what the actual check out prices will be. Also Rogues KBs are not made in the USA whereas KB kings are. Lastly I have both Rouge and KB king powder coat bells and vastly prefer the Rouge, there's more texture like you noted in your original post.

@josipa I think the rogue E-coat are made in the USA, but not the powder kat. Regardless, great idea. I price checked them and with shipping rogue was slightly cheaper.

@garethmcv You're at good place to switch from powerlifting, based on my experience. I liked PL a lot, but got too bulky, and when I switched to more sports and kettlebells, I realized that PL really makes you tight and grooved in on the specific movements you train, and it takes to get the hip and thoracic movements back, as well as more ankle flexibility. The kettlebells made me feel more athletic, balanced, and overall better. I'd get a 16kg and 24kg to start out with, and recognize you're not going for more and bigger with them, but loosening up and building all the little muscles that haven't moved to much out of the groove in awhile. When you're strong, you can generate a lot of power with a 16kg 'bell! Plus, by comparison, a program like Simple and Sinister can seem like cardio compared to PL and have similar effects.

@nac27 My thoughts exactly! I love moving heavy weights, and doing squats and stuff but my mobility has taken a dump from where I started a few years back. I’m also looking to cut down on my mass and think kbs offer the best choice for that.

@garethmcv According to Pavel in Enter the Kettlebell, a very strong gentleman should start with a 53 lbs. kettlebell and ideally buy this set: 53, 70, 88 lbs.

@garethmcv For starting out / budget, get more variety of weights. If you want to do sport, you’ll need two of the same weight, but until then you can do the exercises with one hand and just fine.

@garethmcv Kettlebell Kings are the best on the market IMO but the kg ones have been out of stock lately. They do include free shipping though which is nice. And they usually have $20 off or some sort of deal. Since the 24kg have been out of stock I bought a pair of Rogue powder coat and the quality difference is very noticeable including a rougher handle and the grip is much more narrow and harder to get both hands on the bell for two handed swings.

You can also find a lot of stuff on Facebook Marketplace to save money also. I got a 32kg Kettlebell Kings for $95 and my pair of Rogue 24kgs were only $150 for both

@garethmcv Buy competition bells you won’t regret it. Titan.fitness is best “budget” comp bells. KettlebellsUSA Paradigm Pro Elites are best bells on market IMO. Kettlebell Kings bells are decent but I prefer the Pro Elites. They hold chalk real well.

Back