Rate My Progress — 29/M/5’7” (170.18 cm) Weightlifting Newbie

mspagev

[ progress pic with data ]

For 9 months now, after having done zero weight lifting my entire life (was a runner/cyclist), I’ve started going to the gym 4–6 days a week. As a complete n00b, who has also been taking consistent measurements using bioelectrical impedance analysis, I’m curious to know how my stats are looking. I am objectively stronger; I can do dozens of pushups without stopping, when I used to barely be able to do between 5–10. I’ve been implementing progressive overload and seeing progress across all weights from the bench press to hammer curls. Overall, I’m pretty happy, and the changes are noticeable (much more IRL than in the pic).

I’ve netted about +27.2 lbs of overall weight (+12.34kg), and +9.1 lbs of muscle (+4.1kg), which I’m very proud of, despite the +5.9% body fat which I’m looking to cut eventually. From my understanding, noobie muscle gains can be upwards of 2 lbs a month, whereas I’m around 1 lb. I’m good about getting at least 7 hours of sleep a night, staying in a caloric surplus, and really trying to push myself during each workout to fail in the 8–12 rep range.

Is my progress great, and I’m being too hard on myself for netting ‘halfway’ of what’s capable, or could I majorly step it up (cleaner eating, more sleep, going harder, etc) given I’ve only just started—or both? For what it’s worth, I plan to do this for years and I know noobie gains are not time-based, so I’m not worried even if in theory I could have gained much more these last 9 months. The gym and nutrition are both major financial and time commitments though, so I do want to maximize my gains, of course. 💪

Regardless, y’all have been a huge inspiration as I start this journey. Keep it up! I've been vegan for over eleven years, by the way.

@mspagev
I am objectively stronger

I've been implementing progressive overload

Seeing progress across all weights

Overall I'm pretty happy

Read through those again. Forget strength standards or theoretical capabilities.

Nice work.

@zotis Yes. I've only been taking it for about three months now. I'm going to stop in a few weeks during a cut, since I heard you shouldn't take it indefinitely. The water weight gain is noticeable, unfortunately, lmfao. I'm taking it as part of my pre-workout. I also take vegan BCAA pills with it.

@mspagev Huge agreement with the top comment.

Thought I should point out: most people who are like “I did 1 year of lifting and went total beast mode!” are not being 100% truthful. You’ll often find out that people that get strong / jacked quickly like a freak surprise surprise have plenty of background in sports or some kind of physical activity.

So yeah just do you and keep working on pushing your boundaries. If you could find a training partner or gym environment where people push each other that could probably help take your training to another level.

Back