Recommendations for starting out, and re: fGF21 and bDNF?

treisee

My current daily routine is garbage. It's time to switch things up.

A little background:

I'm diagnosed ADHD, and haven't taken medication for 4 or 5 years now; opting to go the more holistic route more or less. The problem is that when my focus suffers, so does everything else! I tend to have an unstructured 'go with the flow' approach, which can lead me to procrastinate, forego eating for longer periods, or eat in excess on occasion, which saps my energy and makes it more convenient to do low energy things like using what little focused attention I do have to waste time looking into various rabbit holes/entertainment that aren't entirely conducive to personal growth (or if they are, I don't absorb as much information as I could be).

I've followed a WFPB diet for close to 7 years, sometimes taking advantage of the fact that it's harder to gain weight, so I didn't stop to consider if copious amounts of coffee, and somewhat regular drinking over the last few years was getting in the way of my personal growth.

I've been stagnant for a while, and need to start switching things up; especially since the colder months are here, and it's easier to just be lazy. I'm 5'7, 130 lbs., decent muscle tone, but I'd still qualify as 'skinny-fat'. Cardio has never been a huge priority (I tend to hate it because I struggle to maintain structured breathing), but I'm realizing it might be in my best interest to start incorporating it into my daily routine.

In regards to FGF21 and BDNF:

Dr. Rhonda Patrick recently put out a video highlighting some of the benefits of FGF21; namely that of significantly reducing alcohol cravings. After watching that, I was curious to see if Dr. Greger had any videos on the subject, and it just so happens he put out two: Life Extension with FGF21, and How to Boost FGF21 with Diet for Longevity.

I noticed that Dr. Greger's take was that it doesn't seem to matter whether you do anaerobic, or aerobic exercise. But Dr. Rhonda Patrick's video showed studies that indicated there was significantly higher levels of FGF21 in those who did aerobic exercises.

Main points of my post:

I'm aiming to increase BDNF levels for focus and longevity, and similarly for FGF21, except with the added benefit of cutting down on alcohol cravings. I don't have a problem with alcohol, except in that I'm very casual/give-or-take with it. I have noticed that it saps my motivation the following day, and I've heard/noticed that alcohol can sabotage your efforts in picking up a new routine. It's more of a downer to counteract the excessive nervous energy that coffee was causing me.

I have cut out coffee completely, and have been experimenting with drinking yerba mate, matcha, and recently a panax ginseng supplement from a reputable nootropics dispenser that tests for authenticity. The supplement contains 40% Ginsenosides from the leaves, which with the root and leaves combined, creates an effect that is simultaneously relaxing, as well as 'healthy' stress-inducing, which is in line with my goals.

I'm considering starting a gym membership soon. Since I haven't been exercising for a while, I want to start out small, but still get the effects of BDNF and FGF21. Rhonda Patrick's recommendations were to maintain 80% heart rate for around 40 minutes; would this be a good starting point? And what would be a good (affordable) heart rate monitor for starting out?

Also looking at doing meal-prep using crono-meter, and Dr. Greger's Daily Dozen recommendations to make sure I'm hitting all of my targets, as I've gotten a little lazy about that lately as well.

SO, sorry for the long post! I essentially want to start getting healthier by beginning an exercise routine, maintaining structure in my eating habits, eventually weaning off of caffeine entirely, and cutting out alcohol (at least until I have healthier habits instilled to the point that I can trust myself to exercise regularly). I should also mention that I vape, which I quit smoking around the time I went vegan. Another habit that I want to quit, which I'll likely take on by using Tabex.

I would like to make significant headway in these goals by the end of the year. Can anyone offer advice to help nudge me in the right direction? Thank you in advance!

Back