Running The Giant with a single bell question

grace302015

Hey all - I have run the giant 1.0-1.2 a few times with doubles, but never singles. I'm transitioning from my pure strength training with bells to starting my endurance training for cross country skiing. I can't do double bells indoors because it wakes my family up in the morning, but I still want to get some bells in during the winter. I have a question about how to run The Giant with one bell. I'm confused as to how to switch arms and count what is a "set".

Is A or B what you run for a set?

A: X Arm with x reps= 1 set

B: R Arm with x reps, then L Arm with x reps= 1 set.

In other words, is it a set to do any number of reps with only one arm, or is it considered a set only after you complete the reps with both arms?

@grace302015 I guess in the end it does not matter since the Giant is time based and not set based. Personally, say you do a set of 5, I would do 5L, set the bell down, shake my arms out and take a breath, 5R and so on until time runs out.

If you want to use your kettlebells to improve your conditioning using a single bell, you could also take a look at this program from StrongFirst: https://www.strongfirst.com/the-best-all-around-training-method-ever/ assuming that you are already familiar with Clean & Jerk or Clean and Push-Press

I've done this myself with both a 20 and a 24, after about 6 weeks or so I saw my resting HR going down while HR recovery improved. You could definitely run this longer than 6 weeks btw.

@grace302015 Here's an alternative: Do a single kb snatch based program (for example, King Sized Killer), rest a minute or two, and then do an all-out set of double kb press and double kb front squats.

That'll only require a single double kb clean, so with a bit of concentration you could probably do it without getting noisy.

@hunter101 I appreciate the suggestion but I'm too tall for my space to get snatches in :(

I have to move a drop ceiling tile just to be able to get my presses in without punching the ceiling!

@grace302015 That certainly complicates things! High pulls may be a reasonable substitute.

Alternatively, you could try getting into kettlebell sport. One arm long cycle may fit your goals.

@grace302015 That was me :)

Just to clarify, the program is definitively longer than six weeks. I just meant that after 6 weeks I could already see improvements to my resting HR and HR recovery :)

Depending on where you start strength and conditioning wise that specific program can be run for quite a while :)

@inmaniac Ha! Didn't read your handle when responding.

Did you get the Kettlebell Strongfirst program that is referenced on that page you linked? I read what's in it and there seems to be a ton of technique related teachings in it, but hard to tell how many programs are actually in it.

@mooncat13 FWIW I did re-read the plan that I received (maybe he updated it?) and it only states his program can be run with one or two bells, and that's all it really says.