S&S daily, best for progression w/o more kb?

heismine

Heya :) after enjoying casually stark then girvan's kb workout for a while i started the infamous S and S a couple of weeks ago. My goal beeing overall fitness (expecially while its pretty cold outside and i m jobless atm..) and eventually strenght and muscle gain on the side (especially for back since i v been slacking with pulls up). Trying to lower the rep and endurance work since i m losing weight and gaining fat easily)

I m trying to find something as simple as possible so i can "do it all" and keep it daily, or pretty close.

I have 2x8kb , 12 16 and 20kg.

My issue beeing that for the swing, the 20kg doesnt feels that challenging overall. Ofc theres improvement for technics since i m pretty casual and actually new to the power mode, but yeah at some point i gotta move up in some ways.

The tgu theres even more room for improvement, since i discovered that a couple a months ago and stab isnt my strong point by any mean. I v been moving from 8 to 12 but 12 at 5 reps is kinda meh, esp with my left arm. I can do 2 to 3 reps with the 16 but it doesnt feels that safe yet..

So atm i ll just do some tgu with the 16 when i feel it, and and finish with a h2h 20 on the min with either the 1- or 20kb..

I could add 500gr to 1kg on my wirsts, but htat would kinda break the benefit of kb design, i guess.

I could add some reps (and well intend to at max 15 anyway if i feel like it or it fits better my schedule at the time) but i m worried that would only benefice endurance.. and it isnt my main goal.

Should i move the swing to single hand or h2h even if that means getting back on the 16kb, or should i just work on 20kg swing until it feels like nothing? ^^

Concerning the tgu i assume i could just stick with 12kg, eventually add a weight on the wrists, and i d have room for more reps then hope i can do with the 16kgs with confidence?

Or should i just add another type of strengh exercise on top of sns?

@heismine Take your 16 and 20 KG bells and run DFW Remix (link here).

You can still do TGU to warm up. For swings, if reps of 20+ with the 20KG feel easy, you could changes them to snatches or try swinging both the 16 or 20.

The key thing is that your instinct - that you have much more in the tank than merely 100 swings and 10 THU - is correct.

@heismine
Should i move the swing to single hand or h2h even if that means getting back on the 16kb

Yes. Whenever you are unable to go up in weight due to a lack of equipment you do a different variation. Off the top of my head there's 2H side to side swings, single arm swings, hand to hand swings, outside/suitcase swings, staggered stance swings. You could also try double bells but 16kg + 12kg might be too much of a jump, and 16kg + 8kg might be too much of a difference between the two sides. In any case, the fact that you aren't at 20kg single arm or H2H swings yet means you should do that first.

For Turkish Get Up, I'd suggest you add Clean and Press to your program as well as Windmills and Half Kneeling Windmills. Or you could do the Dan John thing and press the bell at every step of the TGU. You probably should stay at the 12kg and get lots of sets under your belt before going up to the 16kg. Doing C&P with the 16kg as well as the Windmills and Half Kneeling Windmills will also make TGUs at 16kg more stable.

I could add 500gr to 1kg on my wirsts, but htat would kinda break the benefit of kb design, i guess.

This could work, especially for something like a TGU where you are taking your body through various planes of motion.

Much to read guys ty :) I ll check out all of these.i though about 2kbs for swings but I m kinda small at 1.67 and one is actually wide enough for me 😝

@heismine Should still be possible if you face the thumbs forward in the swings and adopt a wider stance. Practise with the double 8kg first, then try the 8 and 12 together.

@valnicole Oh I tried, not comfortable to me. I ll keep trying for the sake of it, but I really can't make it part of my core exercises. Still work for less ballistic one tho.. Also sadly the 8kbs are cheap and huuuuge 🤐

so i have been doing my morning routine, did 10 rep SH swings at 20kgs -so alternating right and left 10 sets 10min- and it indeed feels better. i might do hand to hand tomorrow.

@heismine H2H swings are about hand dexterity where you are focusing on not dropping the bell instead of focusing on swinging. Don't do those.

If you have wrist weights, you can attach those to the bell horn instead of your wrist.

You can do:
  • More sets of ten
  • More reps per set
  • Less rest between sets
  • One handed swings (if you haven't already)
  • Shadow swings (aka overspeed eccentric swings -- google).

@juancarlos Good point, I don't wanna waste focus on dex.. I ll try to attach the weights to the 20kgs for two hands, but it's probably too bulky.

The step /reps /rest I can work with tgu since it's only 5 reps and can focus on time under tension while perfecting the forms, but for swings I m afraid that will quickly accumulate fatigue since I d rather go short, heavy and explosive daily ton get a chance to build strength and muscle..