Seeking Advice: (35 F) Trying to Start Fitness for Weight Loss

katsam

Hi everyone,

I am 35/F, 167 cm (5'6") tall, and weigh 93 kg (205 lbs).

Before COVID, I was kind of overweight at 75 kg (165 lbs), but I was swimming regularly, so I didn't really look bad. I also did martial arts. During that time, my usual weight was between 65-70 kg (143-154 lbs).

However, during COVID and afterward, I became obese. In between, I left my job and started a master's degree, left my house, and also my country. Trying to adapt to a new country has been challenging. I'm currently living in Germany, and at first, the delicious beer and potato recipes mesmerized me, leading to a bad diet. I noticed my weight going above 85 kg (187 lbs) and tried to control myself a bit. However, by the end of last year, I made it worse and became 93 kg (205 lbs). At the beginning of this year, I started having some health problems. Long story short, I now have hypertension (I'm taking 5mg ramipril), and my doctor said, "If I didn't know you were 35 years old, when I look at these results, I would say the patient is over 55 years old." He also gave me Atorvastatin 20mg for cholesterol.

In addition, I was diagnosed with PCOS at 25 years old and have been using birth control pills since 2020. I also have ADHD and OCD, which affect my life choices.

However, after getting the hypertension diagnosis from my GP (I will also visit a nephrology doctor soon), I started making changes. For the last two months, I've been walking to and from school (I live 2.5 km (1.55 miles) away). I'm fighting myself and, for the last two weeks, I've managed not to buy snacks, trying to replace them with fruit or coffee. I'm trying to eat more greens, have limited my beer consumption to once in a while, and don't drink sugary drinks (I never liked them anyway).

For the last couple of weeks, I've been thinking of subscribing to a gym close to where I live. When I was younger and at a completely normal weight, I always got comments from people around me that I was fat (even though I was 167 cm (5'6") and 65 kg (143 lbs)). These comments made me lose confidence in myself. Now that I'm really obese, I'm ashamed of myself. I can't walk as fast as I used to, can't climb stairs more than two levels, and trekking on inclined paths takes forever. These things show me how badly I've looked after myself, and I finally want to change that.

The problem is, I don't know how to start. OK, I will go to the gym, but then what? What should I do? I believe they offer a sample workout plan I may go along with that plan but I also wanted to ask it here.

I'm trying to find a way to continue. How should I start with fitness? What would be the best thing to do? Because I can't move like normal people, I'm worried that I'll get demotivated after a short while. What is the best way to stay motivated? In the meantime, should I also search for a dietician?

Oh additionally, I plan to go to swimming minimum once a week starting next week. I will continue walking.

Thank you for reading my post. I'm looking forward to all of your messages.

@katsam https://thefitness.wiki/weight-loss-101/

Ultimately your focus will need to be on your diet. Continue trying to make healthier choices and build better habits, but you need to get in a calorie deficit. If you aren't losing weight, then you're eating too much. I would personally say cut out the beer as well as the snacks. And then work on making lower calorie choices. Nutrition isn't complicated, but if you want to visit a dietitian, then that could be helpful.

Exercise wise, just do what you can to move more. Doesn't have to be intense. It'll just help your calorie burn be a bit more than it would otherwise.

@dinafrancis Thank you so much, after reading your comment I went to the wiki page.

It is very informative. With that information I've made some research and came across a body fat calculator where you are measuring your waist and also around your neck to find the correct value. Kinda different than BMI but I guess it's better.

@katsam If you want a health metric that's better than BMI, use waist to height ratio. For the most part though, a woman should fall within the healthy range of BMI, especially untrained. But overall, I wouldn't pay much attention to body fat % calculators. It's a loose idea, but not gonna be accurate or useful for anything. Scales and other devices that say they can measure it are also inaccurate

Back