Seeking Advice

racheljay50

I know that to lose weight you need to count calories. I’ve never been too great at that. My stats are I’m 49, in full-on peri menopause with all the trimmings, 5’0” and (as of this am) 122.5 lbs.
When I turned 40 I weighed 109. I had two kids in my 30s and my body never was quite the same (of course and I totally get it). I’ve always enjoyed being active and working out. I was more athletic when I was young (played sports) which kept me in shape.
After I had kids, between that and my work as a nurse, my self care and time to exercise went to the way-side. As did my diet (I just started eating what my kids were because as a single full time working mom I didn’t have time to think about anything else and many Mac n cheeses later here we are).

I still struggle to find time to work out. I work full time and the kids are very busy (& don’t drive yet!). I watch the scale climb and I just want to find a way to slow my “thickening stage” (as one of my good friends refers to perimenopause as 😂). My current exercise is: running a 5k once or maybe twice a week. I also do yoga once a week (I need the stretch). My diet isn’t terrible but I definitely eat carbs.
I guess I just wanted to write this all out somewhere. You guys often inspire me. Thank you 😊

@racheljay50 For someone who is busy, I think the most effective way to burn more calories is to up your NEAT - Non-exercise activity thermogenesis.

Think of your day & what you can do to boost your overall caloric expenditure. Can you walk or bike some places instead of driving a car? Take the stairs more? Switch chores with your kids to take more physical ones like taking out the garbage or mopping the floor? If your kids have sports/theater/whatever can you help set up? Do a wall sit while you brush your teeth? Etc...

I think it helps to shift your perspective. I feel it's easy to feel exhausted & pick the default rest options when you're so busy (I'm guilty of this too).

Also, are you able to do simple at home workouts? 20-30mins a day actually makes a big difference & you don't have to spend time commuting or anything. Much less intimidating to try weighted work outs initially at home, too! It's okay to fumble thru them at first it's a learning curve for everyone :)

Lastly, pick some good easy access food options to stock up on & maybe try meal prep for yourself? Take the pressure off that way. Don't let perfectionism prevent you from making positive changes! For example, you can cook chicken breasts for the whole week for you & stock frozen vegetables to make quick 5 min lunches. I also like canned soups, protein shakes, tuna with crackers, etc. If it's too "difficult" I won't make it so I adhere my grocery shopping around that.

@racheljay50 Hi! What specific advice are you seeking? Is your specific goal to be more on top of your diet and exercise routine? Is it to find what kind of exercise fits most with your desired goals? Without specifics I don't know how much advice I can give that aligns with what you're looking for.

@celestialangel18 I definitely need to clarify; I guess I’d really like to lose 10 lbs. I’d love to get my diet in order. I wish I could hire a nutritionist and trainer haha. I need a format to follow that will get me on the right path. I feel a little lost. Running has always been my main and go-to exercise. I want to weight train but have zero clue where to start and am shamefully intimidated by the weight room at my gym. I’ve looked into booking sessions with a trainer from my gym and it’s $$$ and I’m on a tight budget, financially and time-wise.

@racheljay50 The weight room can be a very intimidating space for many beginners and although I'm a trainer now, there was a time when I was stepping into that space for the first time too and I was feeling just as scared and ashamed. It's very common to feel that way, but I think you are doing awesome for wanting to try and take steps to better your health :) If you are on a financial budget, I would suggest looking at free online programs you can use to help get you accustomed to the gym! MegSquats has a great Before The Barbell program that sounds like it fits your needs. You can find it on instagram. Hope this helps!

@racheljay50 If you can, book a single session. I did and told my trainer I need a full routine because I don’t intend to get another session for at least a few months. The changes I saw in my body were worth it, and now I feel confident enough to try new things, within reason, that I find online.

@racheljay50 I wish you luck on your journey, but I quickly wanted to say that there is literally nothing inherently wrong with eating carbs.

You might benefit from looking up how the dynamics of weight loss works from scientific sources. That way you would have less of a possibility to focus on some unnecessary details, thus feeding the feeling of „failing“ or „I do that and that but nothing works“ kind of conclusions.

@racheljay50 Creating a new normal with your diet is probably the best place to start. Don’t try to add on workouts if it isn’t reasonable right now, just get on some healthy food swaps and make that routine as easy and enjoyable as you can. Experimenting with what you like takes time. Once that becomes easy for you, focus on the workouts. Maybe your kids would enjoy some hikes with you or a swim or a visit to a trampoline park or some biking. Maybe a few of those yoga sessions can be intensified. Nursing can be exhausting, so experiment and find something that leaves you feeling energized, not more tired!

@boxofficerevolutionary Thanks yes my job can really draining at times. I’m definitely on my feet a lot. That’s sometimes what depletes my will to work out. I have so many things I need to adjust; I sleep terribly (mostly due to the fact I wake up multiple times a night drenched in sweat). So I’m exhausted. My job requires a lot mentally and physically. I want to be a good mom and my kids (tween/young teen) need me. I try to invest in them and their activities in my free time. I’m a single mom. There’s not a lot left over. They are with dad two weekends a month. Those are the days I work out. Four days a month is not a lot I know. It’s so hard to carve out time. Some weekends they’re there I just want to lay on the couch and read all day. Sometimes it’s hard to find the motivation. But I’m not happy with body right now and I want to feel strong. I also think it will help with the perimenopause symptoms.

@racheljay50 you should check out soheefit if you don’t follow her on insta! she has great dietary tips that are realistic like add, don’t restrict to unhealthy food.

you don’t need to cut out carbs like mac n cheese. i would just reduce the portion size of it and add healthier carbs (fruits/vegetables) and meat. definitely watch what you’re drinking too though.

@racheljay50 I always wonder how moms don't eat all their kids leftover food. For me, I know I can maintain my weight (105-110, 5'3) because I don't have kids. Once I see leftover food, I finish it. So I totally understand how much more difficult it would be for someone like you to slow down your thickening stage LOL.

What I have to stress is that working out is futile if your food intake isn't right. I run around 20-40 miles per week and also do pilates/weights 2/3 times a week and all of this working out doesn't make a difference if I don't have my food intake right. So instead of focusing on working out (unless you are doing this for mental health), I would focus on the 80/20 rule of food.

@racheljay50 Eating less costs no time. Definitely try to find healthier quick and easy food choices, or just reduce your portions. Your weight isn't super high, if you just reduce your calories a little your weight will slowly fall! Try to assess your intake and see if you have some habits you can cut out or simple ways you can reduce calories (eg if you eat a lot of mac n cheese, maybe you can swap out some of the ingredients for low calorie variants).

Back