Seeking Fitness Routine Advice for Longevity at 37

groov3ydud3

I’m reaching out in hopes of gaining insights or advice on optimizing my fitness routine as I navigate through my late 30s. I’ve been consistently active, focusing on a mix of weights and cardio 5-6 days a week, following a PHUL program. However, as I get older, my priorities are shifting. I’m less concerned with lifting the heaviest weights and more focused on maintaining overall fitness and longevity.

Here’s my dilemma: I’m unsure of the best approach to structuring my routine throughout the year for optimal health and fitness. Should I cycle my focus in stages (e.g., concentrating on strength for 6 weeks, then cardio, followed by hypertrophy and stretching), or is it more beneficial to incorporate a blend of these elements into each week?

Currently, my strength training mainly consists of 5/3/1 sets or 3x8-10, and for cardio, I alternate between 30-minute incline treadmill sessions (sometimes with a weighted vest) and the echo bike. I’ve been following this same pattern for a while, and I feel it’s time for a change.

A few additional details about me: I manage to get 7-8 hours of sleep nightly, rarely drink alcohol, and occasionally smoke a bit of the devils lettuce.

My goal is to craft a sustainable and effective routine that supports fitness and health as I age. I would greatly appreciate any advice, insights, or experiences you could share, especially if you’ve navigated or are navigating this phase of life and fitness yourself.

Thank you in advance for your help!

@groov3ydud3 Sounds like you've got it figured out already.

I'd be prepared to change things up to alter the input stress from time to time. Instead of barbell or whatever you use most often, try out sandbag, try out kettlebells, try out isometrics. Change the inputs from time to time. Train with a range of load/set/rep.

But my POV - 3 whole body resistance and two or three aerobic sessions per week. Prioritize resistance work and put on a little extra muscle for when you're older. No need to periodize or plan mezocycles for general health.

@mikeb34
3 whole body resistance and two or three aerobic sessions per week. Prioritize resistance work and put on a little extra muscle for when you're older. No need to periodize or plan mezocycles for general health.

Sustainable > optimal. : )

@groov3ydud3 From what I have learned throughout my career as a physical therapist and by listening to non-sensationalist science podcasts (so not the likes of Huberman lol), I would say you’re doing just fine.

You get the most results from doing the basics, and then you hit a point where it really doesn’t matter. For example, hitting 7-8,000 steps daily brings you out of the extreme dangers of the sedentary lifestyle, but doing 16,000 steps doesn’t necessarily get you double the benefit from the people doing 8,000. There’s a significantly diminishing return once you’re past exercising 2-3 times per week.

That being said, maintaining as much muscle mass (primarily in the legs) is essential to aging. So is getting your heart rate up a few times per week to maintain good cardiovascular health. As a physical therapist, I would say maintaining as much ROM as possible in your joints, primarily hips and spine, is important as well. However, the last part is more anecdotal from my 10+ years in PT.

I would say you should do whatever exercise routine gives you enjoyment. If you want to cycle and focus more on for example running for 6-12 weeks followed by a block of hypertrophy weightlifting, that’s cool. If you want to continue the way you do, that’s fine too. I think people overestimate how much we know about exercise and aging. There are no “protocols” to follow yet, no matter what the gurus tell us.

@groov3ydud3 531's 2/2/2 format is my plan once I finish this last push and do a masters 1 meet. Two days of lifting, two days of mobility, two days of conditioning. 80% training max and just focus on good movement and bar speed.

@groov3ydud3 Endurance plus High intensity training will give you greater longevity, heart health and telomere length directly related to cardio training, and consider strength training largely to keep you together as you age

@groov3ydud3 How heavy are you going on weights now, or "what would you define as heavy?"

On my end, I got to fixed numbers I'm happy with on the major lifts (squat, deadlift, bench, row, overhead press, etc)... and I stop trying to add weight to the bar. I alternate between cardio and aesthetics (accessory lifts) and team sports... usually one at a time, maybe two, not three.

I treat strength and hypertrophy as the same goal.

If there's not a reason I'm stretching, stretching seems an utter waste of time.

I will occasionally pick a goal and go for that if I'm getting otherwise bored.

@msallyjm That’s a good point re being happy with the weight and not just to keep adding.

My lift weights are intermediate. But I’m not looking to compete or anything i just want to feel good and also be as athletic/fit as possible so just enjoy life as i age.

I really enjoy physical activities and it’s time spent where my mind is free.

Thanks for the reply

@groov3ydud3 https://www.tomfurman.com/the-frank-sinatra-template/

I think a seasonal approach sounds like a good idea. Obviously it doesn't have to exactly line up with the seasons or be 4 blocks of exactly 3 months, but you get the picture.

I'm just a little younger than you, and making small changes every few months when I start to crave a certain style of training, but still keeping the other stuff on the back burner, has been good for my mind and joints.

If you combine that with Dan John's park and bus bench workout concept, you have a pretty flexible template you could do almost forever.

@groov3ydud3 If you haven’t seen it I can highly recommend How To Live To 100 on Netflix. It’s an excellent 5 part documentary about longevity that will leave you with good ideas about lifestyle changes, but should always be taken with a pinch of salt (tee hee.) longevity is one of my big drivers too, but it’s a lifestyle shift more than just exercise and diet.

Power 9

Food wise it’s about eating unprocessed, plant based foods with some meat, high polyphenol wine, cheese etc, but less than you are probably eating now.

Exercise wise it’s about adjusting your life so that you exercise daily and have purpose with your exercise - walking, swimming, yoga, gardening - and making them social too. Pumping at the gym for an hour with headphones in and then being sedentary the other 13 hours of the day probably isn’t going to have you living a long time even though it builds muscle. Most of the rituals that keep us fit both physically and mentally (like hanging the washing or cutting through a big squash, for example) have been engineered out of our lives.

It’s just one train of thought, but it’s had plenty of research and it’s how I try to model my approach to fitness generally.